• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 vs 50...any real advantage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had some bear at local game dinners and it's ok. Just never wanted to shoot one. I went centerfire season one time and when we got done my buddy say's "are you going to unload your gun?"

I said it's unloaded. He say's; we have been walking this road out for an hour and I know you didn't unload. I showed him the empty mag and chamber and told him I never loaded it up and I was just along as a driver.

Lots of advice and experience here...thanks guys. I am learning as I read that these rifles are more accurate and powerful than I first thought....

I originally thought a 50 caliber round ball rifle was pretty anemic but it turns out not so...

necchi said:
This has been asked a gazillion times.
The 54 is simply superior to the 50,, larger-heavier, it'll carry further, drift less and retain energy further.
But you might want to re-think simply stating your going to use the heaviest conical,, the key to hunting is accuracy and placement.
When you find your 54 cal rifle, experiment with different projectiles to find the most accurate for your loading technique (once you develop one).
FWIW, a 45 cal round ball will be and is sufficient for Deer, Hogs and Bear.

This is my plagiarized response too. :wink:

Guys...I really appreciate all the responses...so far I learned that round ball accuracy is can be much more precise than I ever thought...

I've also learned loading and firing technique has much to do with accuracy.

And my decision has been made for me...a friend is coming to visit and is bringing a virtually new unfired 50 caliber rifle for me to use till I learn and figure out what I want...

The journey begins....

The journey begins....
Excellent! :thumbsup:
Be sure to clean that rifles bore, lock and triggers before using it with an oil solvent. Factory new guns have a petroleum packing grease on all the metal for long term storage.
Keep checking-in and reading here, the good folks here can help keep you on the right path so your journey is a pleasant one.

If you're dead set on using heavy conicals, there's no advantage in picking a .54 over a .50, or even a .45 (which is what I'd probably pick if I was exclusively shooting conicals).

Where the .54 really shines is with patched round balls, because it shoots bigger, heavier ball.

The other component to consider is what kind of gun you're looking for. Flint or Percussion? Hawken- style or long rifle? If you want a flint long rifle, most production guns don't have a barrel twist that's conducive to shooting heavy conicals.

Congratulations! Just don't even think about going to meetings now. Meetings are for quitters! And I bet you won't want to quit this obsession.

Do you know what rifle he's bringing?

Mornin!

I don't know what it is...only that his son got it in a gun trade and it looks new and unfired. Don't know the make yet, but he'll be here Monday with it.

Once I have it I'll see what you guys can tell me about it...

IMO there is a benefit of going larger in diameter with a conical-only rifle, but the advantage is ony felt on the range and not when hunting.
Bigger bores foul less - if I wanted a rifle for slinging heavy conicals I'd still pick a .50 over a .45. Maybe even the .54.

Nobody likes wiping between the shots so best keep it to a minimum. :grin:

Hi from New Zealand, I have just joined here and am learning a lot already.Shot every thing you can for 45 years except bp, my main interest was bow hunting. Due to back surgery had to give up the bow :cursing: So I have decided to take up bp shooting. I just ordered a missouri river hawken with birch stock, 50cal, 1 in 24 twist.I went with a rifle that would shoot conical for one main reason. The Red stags we shoot here weigh upward of 200kg + and in the roar often come looking for you wanting to fight.The bush can be thick as hell, so I thought shooting a conical of app 380gn would be ideal.Shot angles can also be tricky, do you think I have made the right choice? Thanks.

Thanks for the welcome,realy looking forward to the trip. dont know about 2 or 3 smoke poles, with the price of them over here, 1 may have to do for a while.At least we have no season on deer ect over here, 365 days a year. Im hoping it will be here for the roar, ( rut ) which will kick off in about 4 weeks, cant wait. Cheers Greg.

I'm jealous! Always wanted to hunt Red Stag! We only have giant Whitetail Deer here to chase! :). Good luck with your new BP hobby/adventure/addiction!!! Greg

A 380 gr .50 cal bullet should have plenty of penetration and shock on your big Red Stags, even one that's all horned up, looking for a fight. :grin:

Has to be exciting to hunt for a big animal that is ready and willing to do you harm. Do you have a back-up (gun or buddy)?

Again, Welcome to the Forum, :hatsoff:
Let us know when your new rifle arrives, and how it shoots. If you need any help with loads and such, just ask. And please do keep us posted on your hunt.

Richard/Grumpa

Hi Grumpa, no, no backup gun and I hunt by myself almost always. Yea the red stags can get real stroppy in the roar, when you go in after them in tight bush, sure gets the blood pumping. This april I am planning on trying to get a good fallow stag first, then if time allows Ill chase the Reds. Just hope the smoke pole arrives in time! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :)

larry wv said:
I know it's not what you asked but a .62 and round ball would be good for short to med range. :)

Larry

Just my opinion, I think you're right about that.

The Rattler, an old TC flinter Hawken with a GM .62 barrel rifled by Mr. Hoyt with his best round ball rifling; I've come to believe that for configuring the TC Hawken as a hunting gun there's no better set up. Each caliber, twist, barrel length and rifling type have their demands, advantages and limitations. And the TC Hawken is adaptable to most anything. But for that gun, most hunting situations... might want something different for gophers.
.595 round ball makes such an arrival that if there's a max load I don't need to find it even though the barrel is as good of quality materials and fit that the muzzleloading community will probably ever see and could take a whole lot of FFg. That much metal removed from the one inch barrel lets the 32" length handle very nicely. It's bordering on overkill for North America so there's no doubt it's enough.
It's got a big heavy ball, you can flatten the trajectory with heavy charges, nice handling, easy to make accurate... TC should have made them that way.

RC in TX said:
I'm new at this guys so be patient...my question is...is there any real advantage to a 54 over a 50 caliber rifle...?

I plan to shoot the heaviest conicals I can out of whichever one I end up with...looking for a rifle now.

I plan to shoot deer, hogs, and bear.

Using cf lingo may help here: Is there any real advantage to a .338 Win Mag over a .30-06? I can hunt anything in NA w the .50 ('06) but in some applications a .54 (.338) may be a little better choice.

TC

Back