• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 vs 50...any real advantage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this is Navarone, my 38" long barrel Bob Hoyt rebore half way between .50 and .54 semi-sorta bench gun.
I could use it for deer way across the field. But shooting across the yard to the berry vines might be more likely and that sure won't need a long range piece.

Tried out the Ideal mold #512138. In the picture below they're the short ones in the foreground.
The accuracy with a 100 grains of Goex FFg surprised me. Once sighted in they made a hole at 100 yards. But, there was too much strain on the patches and some leading started at the muzzle. It came out easy enough with Kroil. Whether I can get as good of accuracy with thicker paper to stop the leading, well that will be something to work out.

That's a clamp on scope mount so there's no drilling and tapping the barrel. Comes in handy for load development and for adjusting to whatever eye relief is needed. Pulled the scope off last night. Next I'm gonna look at tang peeps, not the TC peeps but one that can be run up for longer range target shooting. Hopefully the astigmatism will not keep me from doing well enough to enjoy it. And might fix up a hood for the GM bead front sight. Reckon I'll need a riser on the comb for cheek position. Could use something under my elbow too when it goes sliding across the bench.

Now I've killed deer with .45 prbs at 75 yards and .50 prbs at 100 yards. My eyes aren't good enough to shoot much farther than that. I hunt and shoot nothing but round ball and never, ever had reason to use a conical.

Then no doubt you will be over joyed to learn I have a .515 round ball mold. That way the .52 flinter Renegade (standard length Renegade barrel) can be used with short as well as long bullets.
:hatsoff:

RC
Something I didn't notice in all the posts is just how good a shot are you? Not being smart just curious.
I have used bp calibers from .32-.58 each has its own purpose.
I have shot concials or sabots in all except the .58. Each for me had its own learning curve.
Bp shooting has its own learning curve also they don't shoot the same as CF's and speed isn't what I am interested in it is just how hard is that rb or sabot going to connect with what ever I am hunting and at what distance is the best.
I am a a rooky in bp shooting only been at it for almost 50 years now. Yes I am serious with that statement. I have shot a .32 and .36 caliber at a clay pigeon that was over 200 yards and yes that is way to far for real hunting but I was just curious how far could one throw a small rb. That being said you really need to buy what you want in caliber, projectile and see just how good you are at different ranges and go from there.
Something that hasn't been said here is that if you really get hooked on bp one is not enough and one caliber isn't enough, trust me on that.
If you have friends that have bp firearms see if they will let you shoot them. I can tell you the more powder, the heavier the projectile the more you will feel the recoil, don't mean it is a bad thing just a law of physics that must be kept in mind.
Good luck

Back