• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Drop in Barrels for T/C Hawken. ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm considering adding a 54 percussion barrel to my Hawken but I'm not looking for a project. I know I've seen ads for Green Mountain barrels but don't recall seeing them for 54. Are there any current barrel makers that make a ready drop in barrel for the T/C?

A T/C Hawkens use a 15/16" barrel for 45 and 50 cal then goes to a 1" on 54 cal, so if you have a smaller cal a 54 cal won't work with your stock
I remember that there were barrel differences but wasn't sure which caliber had what dimensions. Thanks for the info. Perhaps a cal to Mr Hoyt is in order.

I remember that there were barrel differences but wasn't sure which caliber had what dimensions. Thanks for the info. Perhaps a cal to Mr Hoyt is in order.

Hoyt can and will bore a tc 50 to 54. Also you can get a drop in here - The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium -

Pricier than a rebore but with the drop in you will have two calibers and two barrels.

The Gun Works sells drop-in TC barrels, I bought one from them that was a 15/16" in .54, They may be out of stock now but may have them in the future.
On the one you bought, was it a true drop in or did you need to do some additional work to make everything fit and function? I did see that sights needed to be added separately.

Depending on your level of 'want' and the depth of your pockets, you can usually find one or two 54cal Green Mountain drop-ins on gunbroker for 2 to 3 times what they sold for new.

Sure glad I bought mine in the early 90's when I did.

Bought 1" 45 and put it is a Renegade stock with Redfield Jr. sights front and back, it is a winner in Light Bench. Bought a 54. 1 " and put T/C Contender rear sight anf Lyman globe on the front and a winner on the offhand line.

One thing about it, they are not going to make any more, at $699 I would buy it if I did not have some.

I'm considering adding a 54 percussion barrel to my Hawken but I'm not looking for a project. I know I've seen ads for Green Mountain barrels but don't recall seeing them for 54. Are there any current barrel makers that make a ready drop in barrel for the T/C?
I sent you a PM, I may know where there are some TC drop in barrels.

Back