• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Drop in Barrels for T/C Hawken. ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm considering adding a 54 percussion barrel to my Hawken but I'm not looking for a project. I know I've seen ads for Green Mountain barrels but don't recall seeing them for 54. Are there any current barrel makers that make a ready drop in barrel for the T/C?
Honestly, I gave up finding parts and just went through eBay. I’ve found two excellent barrels (1 flintlock and 1 percussion) so I was able to put together two guns with parts off eBay. The flintlock is my favorite. It was originally a stock for percussion but with a bit of filing, I got the stock to accept the flintlock much better. Some of the metalwork parts are odd amdvibecrunbintonissues, but if you have a 1” inletted stock, you can fit a .54 barrel. eBay has been a good resource and I continue to find spare parts and discontinued items since TC is no longer around.

I have a Renegade .54, and recently purchased a Renegade .50 barrel for it. In my search for that, I did notice a huge range in price for factory barrels and what Green Mountain barrels I saw for sale. I am still searching for another barrel, and for some of the prices people are asking for Green Mountain barrels, it seems like the better option would be to have a custom barrel made. At least the length, twist, and caliber could be exactly what one wants, and would still be less expensive than some of the Green Mountain barrels I have seen. Why would someone purchase one of those over another custom barrel, like a Rice or another brand.?

I'm really pi$$ed at my self for missing the 54 Hawken in great cond that sold for ....$400 this week! That would have solved my problem and would have gotten a whole rifle for what barrels are going for. Each day I'm considering my options including forgetting about it entirely and living with what I have. Having lived for 70 years and having only paid $175 (?) for my 1970's Hawken when new, the sticker shock is quite unsettling. While I know ya "gotta pay to play" the question is whether it's worth that much to me in $$ and wait time. So far the answers have been "No".

I recently bought a Rice 15/16ths .54 cal. barrel ,,,,then got the "parts" to complete it, Breech plug, thimbles under rib sights etc. Had $500 into it with shipping before it was all done.....but boy does it shoot! I chose not to wait for Gun Works ML Emporium...was quoted 13months last spring.....but believe they would be a good product, great folks to talk with.

,,,,then got the "parts" to complete it, Breech plug, thimbles under rib sights etc

Did you use the Rice breech plug? Was this a ball barrel? What lenvth?

$500 seems like a lot but in a couple years probably not so much! The way things are going with parts it may become a unicorn.

Mr. Hoyt bored three 15/16th" hawken barrels to 54 for me if that helps your search. As for other companies, I do not know.
Yeah, Bobby Hoyt has done two for me. Jason at Rice wasn’t open to it. But that was a while ago. He may do so now.

Edit: apparently he does now.. he’s a great barrelsmith.

I recently bought a Rice 15/16ths .54 cal. barrel ,,,,then got the "parts" to complete it, Breech plug, thimbles under rib sights etc. Had $500 into it with shipping before it was all done.....but boy does it shoot! I chose not to wait for Gun Works ML Emporium...was quoted 13months last spring.....but believe they would be a good product, great folks to talk with

Last edited:
Did you use the Rice breech plug? Was this a ball barrel? What lenvth?

$500 seems like a lot but in a couple years probably not so much! The way things are going with parts it may become a unicorn.
I used a breech plug from TOTW similar to the TC "snail" type. This is a round ball barrel, cut to 36"... I did pay to have the BP installed....and shipping was steep from back east to Montana. Probably have fewer than 100 shots through it so still a work in progress, but posted a 100yd target on another thread (patch lube....lawdy) that had 1st shot out due to wind and next 4 under 2.5". Plan to hunt either deer or elk with it, depending on what tags I have left, in December.

If you have a .50 barrel you want to increase the bore on, consider shopping ebay until one of those larger sized off beat ball molds shows up that nobody wants. Get it for next to nothing and get the barrel rebored to suit. Sometimes a .509 or .515 or such shows up and the bidding can be almost nonexistent.
Or, if things work out on the mold you find, consider having the barrel rebored to shoot lubed lead bullets and be of a bore size that you can patch the round ball to fit. There's lots of ways to skin that cat.

Latest posts

Back