• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Flint Pedersoli Alamo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykeal

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a chance at a .50 cal Pedersoli flint Alamo yesterday at an auction. 95% condition, average wood, lock springs were a little slow (actually the frizzen spring was downright weak). It went for $300.

Seems cheap. Should I have perhaps big again?

Man, that's a real judgenent call. However, on the surface - it sounds like you might be buying someones problem. Did he gun look abused or just maybe in need of replacement parts? I would pull the lock and check for rust and cracked stuff + signs of neglect in general.

Seems high to me for a used import, I have seen NW guns and other used American made semi custom guns go for $450-500 on various ML forums trade blankets. It may be worth that much but I would not give that for one.

I own one those. To get a new one is around 695. I don't know what a used one would go for. I got mine back in 1993.

Overall the gun was in good shape - I'd give it a 98% condition rating. Good color (blued), no scratches, no corrosion, good (average figure) wood (maple), no dings, scratches, discoloration. The bore was quite clean, no evidence of dirt or pitting. The hammer, flint jaws, frizzen face, pan and vent liner were clean and clear of corrosion. The only down side were the two springs.

I almost pulled the lock but was more interested in a Lyman Great Plains .53 percussion that was next to it in the rack. By the time I had taken it apart, inspected it an put it back together I was pressed for time to get through the rest of the prospects on my list. The suspicion about the lock plus my inability to check it out are what lead to quitting the bidding early and letting it go.

Mykeal:

A Frizzen spring only has to be strong enough to keep the frizzen closed when the gun is pointed down to the ground. A good lock will fire properly and produce plenty of sparks with NO frizzen spring in place at all.

Because range rules only allow guns to be primed at the firing line, many bench rest flintlock shooters leave the frizzen spring out of their guns, altogether.

Since a frizzen rarely weighs even half a pound, it would take a very "weak" frizzen spring to cause any concern.

My new Penn Rifle kit that part as Paul said doesnt have to stay closed like its glued - on the new one you have to really push to get it open, maybe why it's so slow but sparks so good :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

Fred: Check to see that the pivot screw is not screwed in too tight, and then oil it. There may be a burr on the side of the portion of the frizzen where the pivot hole is drilled, that is rubbing against the lock plate, or the bridle, if the lock has one. Remove the burrs, file the contact surface a little, put on some oil and it should be working right. :thumbsup:

mykeal said:
Had a chance at a .50 cal Pedersoli flint Alamo yesterday at an auction. 95% condition, average wood, lock springs were a little slow (actually the frizzen spring was downright weak). It went for $300.

Seems cheap. Should I have perhaps big again?

$300 for a Pedersoli rifle sounds cheap. Very cheap.

Haveing a hell of a breathing and legs keep folding up in pain last 2 nihts so I can't get mch done, I started on the set triggers and now it works with just the front trigger at all , if A set it - it gets caught on half cock?? I'll ry and work that out tonight but may have to wait a few days, DID FIND some wood to hammer and frizzen contac that is fixed, was it the spring or horse shoe part under that gets taken dow and polished Paul? Fred :hatsoff:

Back