• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken auction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikingman1981

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I have been watching and was highest bidder on what looked like an older TC Hawken flinter .50 cal. Low serial number, said
Cal 50" "M" stamped on barrel, no QLA and seemed to be in great condition. I was prepared to go $5-600. The auction was yesterday. Upon arriving I went straight to it and the barrel looked great and overall condition great until I saw a ziplock bag attached to the gun with a snapped off frizzen/striker cleanly and freshly broken off and upon further investigation a badly cracked stock. The gun wasn't advertised as that. I spoke with a guy working the auction and they "hadn't noticed" although someone placed the broken striker in a zip lock to the gun....anyways they re listed the gun in its actual condition and of course all interested re bid. I max bid at $200 and it went for $250. I'm wondering if I should have bid higher in its condition? I've really been looking for quality Hawken and they are hard to come by and I'm not going to drop $7-800 at a shop. Thoughts and opinions?

Something is worth the money it will bring. To me no I wouldn’t go that price. However how much do you want it? Is the stock repair stable? One can get a new striker( thinking frizzen-hammer-battery) and you can get replacement stocks.

So I have been watching and was highest bidder on what looked like an older TC Hawken flinter .50 cal. Low serial number, said
Cal 50" "M" stamped on barrel, no QLA and seemed to be in great condition. I was prepared to go $5-600. The auction was yesterday. Upon arriving I went straight to it and the barrel looked great and overall condition great until I saw a ziplock bag attached to the gun with a snapped off frizzen/striker cleanly and freshly broken off and upon further investigation a badly cracked stock. The gun wasn't advertised as that. I spoke with a guy working the auction and they "hadn't noticed" although someone placed the broken striker in a zip lock to the gun....anyways they re listed the gun in its actual condition and of course all interested re bid. I max bid at $200 and it went for $250. I'm wondering if I should have bid higher in its condition? I've really been looking for quality Hawken and they are hard to come by and I'm not going to drop $7-800 at a shop. Thoughts and opinions?

You get what you pay for, no such thing as a good gun cheap

Kind of regret not bidding a bit higher after looking at replacement parts/stocks I would need. Also could practice faux striping cracked stock. Oh well I'll get em next time.

If you can't get a detailed picture of the inside of the barrel from the seller you were probably better off passing on this one.

Something like this could be lurking inside.

bad bore .40.jpg

No. Just sit and wait, something will come up later. If you buy at auction, too, there's the bidder fee, shipping if not local, and sales tax if applicable. Exhale, move on, keep your eyes on upcoming sales. JMHO, and I've been there! Good luck.

What does that mean? Don't fret over losing out on a broken factory made rifle. More come along all the time.
Thanks bud the QLA system TC developed later in their line ups. The last inch or two of the barrel is smooth to ease starting a load then the rest of the barrel is rifled. I've heard many say it does aid in starting a load and doesn't effect accuracy but I was interested in the fact that it appeared to be an older Hawken sans QLA. Not really a deal breaker or big deal though imo.

No. Just sit and wait, something will come up later. If you buy at auction, too, there's the bidder fee, shipping if not local, and sales tax if applicable. Exhale, move on, keep your eyes on upcoming sales. JMHO, and I've been there! Good luck.
Thanks man like I said I've really had my eye on a Hawken. I got a Deerstalker about 5 years ago to hunt PA's flintlock season and I've really enjoyed it and the challenge of shooting a flinter. You could say I've been bitten by the bug! haha

Opinions?, I have plenty. :rolleyes:

The TC Hawken is not a Hawken style rifle. They were fine for what they were. They were not a high quality rifle, just an adequately safe, most of the time, price point production gun. I think of them as an upgrade on the Traditions and CVA guns.

I believe the high prices are due to guys maturing and having a little money. Now they want to get the rifle they had when younger. Nostalgia is playing a role. The TC Hawken has been out of production of a long time. They are getting old. Lots of them have been abused. I would no pay a premium price for one based on merit or collectability. When did they get collectable anyway??

The TC uses a compromise barrel. The rifling is shallow and a medium fast twist. They were button rifled. It will shoot both patched balls and Maxi bullets. That is great but finding a maxi mold is another treasure hunt today. If you want to shoot balls or bullets there are better barrels for each. I am not saying it will not shoot accurately.

For that niche I would look at a Track Leman. They are good stout rifle with a little soul and history . A Leman in 54 or 58 is an excellent hunting rifle.

Your mileage may vary. I am amazed at what people pay for common old guns today. The OP's description of the broken old TC?? I would not give over $150. And.... I can make the parts and fix the stock myself. Maybe I have old fart perspective effecting my judgement?

Opinions?, I have plenty. :rolleyes:

The TC Hawken is not a Hawken style rifle. They were fine for what they were. They were not a high quality rifle, just an adequately safe, most of the time, price point production gun. I think of them as an upgrade on the Traditions and CVA guns.

I believe the high prices are due to guys maturing and having a little money. Now they want to get the rifle they had when younger. Nostalgia is playing a role. The TC Hawken has been out of production of a long time. They are getting old. Lots of them have been abused. I would no pay a premium price for one based on merit or collectability. When did they get collectable anyway??

The TC uses a compromise barrel. The rifling is shallow and a medium fast twist. They were button rifled. It will shoot both patched balls and Maxi bullets. That is great but finding a maxi mold is another treasure hunt today. If you want to shoot balls or bullets there are better barrels for each. I am not saying it will not shoot accurately.

For that niche I would look at a Track Leman. They are good stout rifle with a little soul and history . A Leman in 54 or 58 is an excellent hunting rifle.

Your mileage may vary. I am amazed at what people pay for common old guns today. The OP's description of the broken old TC?? I would not give over $150. And.... I can make the parts and fix the stock myself. Maybe I have old fart perspective effecting my judgement?
Maxi-ball moulds are out there except for .32 and .36. I have collected moulds since sine the 70's. I have a few Maxi ball moulds, some in original boxes. I have to disagree on your assessment on safety and quality. They were very high quality and very safe. The fire in the plant destroyed the tooling for some models. That is when they became collectible and for a number of years you haven't been able to buy any as S+W Ceased production of any T/C's
Nit Wit

Viking, don't regret your decision. If you had gone to $250, that other guy would have bid $300. Seems there are always folks that will overpay. You decided what it was worth to you and stuck with it. You'll probably have less regrets with that approach. Keep looking!

Back