• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Cal 470 gr. Maxi-Balls vs. Evil Watermelon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well folks, it's almost that time of year again when my son and I travel to Boy Scout summer camp to do the muzzle loader demo for the camp. A T/C Maxi-Hunter .50 cal. 470 grain HP launched at approx. 1400 FPS :shocked2: . The evil watermelon (O-K R. Lee Ermey said it first) will be turned into vaporized fruit at the annual exhibition. I call it my "Watermelon Destruct Load". Puts-on quite a nice show!

But first the scouts get to shoot the center out of clay birds that we hang-up on a line with clothes pins. A 50 gr. charge for the scouts is all that's needed and the rifle won't buck too much!

Does anyone know where I can find more of the .50 cal 470 grain T/C Maxi's? I'm down to my last box and I looked on the T/C website and couldn't find them listed. Any help appreciated!

Dave
(The Annual Crazy Boomer)! :youcrazy:

AHHH.........The old TC Slug-O-Matic!If you were closer I have a coffee can full not getting used.

The 385 Hornady is the bullet you want. On a melon it will expand to over the size of a quarter and makes a splash that is impressive! That big hollow point loves targets with lots of moisture content!

410-er,

Are you going to Dixon's on the weekend? It's the annual Fair. Me & the Old Bridge Boys & Gals are doing it on Sunday the 29th!

Maybe we could meet for a little swap-itty-do?

Dave

Runner,

I'll check-out those 385 Hornady's you mentioned. What kind of packaging / how many to a box? Are they pre-lubed like the T/C's? Does Hornady make anything heavier in a .50 cal chunk of lead?

Thanks,

Dave

Hornaday makes 410 and 460 gr flat point conicals in 50 cal. 20/box.

By chance do you have a 58 cal too, there is a 525 gr HP conical, surely a good watermelon masher.

All the above are pre-lubed

ive taken many -a-mellon with only a good pluggin knife and a half full moon :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I'm going Saturday but send me a PM and let me know the way you will be going.It might be close to my place.

Be sure and take your camera! But seems like a feller once said never trust someone with a .50 and a watermelon, or something of that sort...

Hornady 385 HBHP 50 caliber, 20 to a box, pretty easy to find at local stores most places. They shoot good and they are about 10$. The hollow point is big enough to drop a BB in. Denver Bullet company 385 HBHP are pretty much the same with different grease and grooves. They are harder to find but they shoot pretty much the same. They are also the perfect bullet for beginning muzzleloader hunters until they get around to being comfortable shooting roundball. The lube on both works well but is pretty stiff.

They are not long range bullets, but out to 125 they make a good hammer!

Back