• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 cal. 405 gr Maxi-ball loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcal762mm

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello all,
I shooting a T/C New Englander 54 cal 1:48 twist ML and looking for loading data for a 405 gr Maxi-ball load for hunting. Also any info on the 300 gr Lee R.E.A.L. would great help out.
thanks,
Mcal

In my 54 T/C I use 100 gr. of goex ffg. It does great for me. Has a little kick to it with that heavy maxi.

mcal762mm said:
Hello all,
I shooting a T/C New Englander 54 cal 1:48 twist ML and looking for loading data for a 405 gr Maxi-ball load for hunting. Also any info on the 300 gr Lee R.E.A.L. would great help out.
thanks,
Mcal

WAD, WAD, WAD, use a wad under your bullet :grin:

and try Goex from 80 to 120FF. :shocked2:

What type of velocity should i expect out of 80 to 100 gr of BP with the 405gr and the 300 gr?
Thanks,
Mcal

mcal762mm said:
What type of velocity should i expect out of 80 to 100 gr of BP with the 405gr and the 300 gr?
Thanks,
Mcal

This will give you a ballpark figure.

Hornaday gives the following for 390 gr and 425 gr bullets using 110 and 105 gr FFg: 1450 fps and 1400 fps respectively.

For the 425gr using my renegade with 1-28 28" GM barrel 100gr FFg over a wonder wad was a bit too hot as it was blowing the hammer back to full cock on firing, I backed off to 90 gr for my hunting load.

Back