• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxi-Ball Makes Watermelon Blow-Up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
At Scout Camp on Thursday I taught the Scouts the art of watermelon explosions. I had one of my Scouts help load and fire the .50 cal trade rifle with 100 grains of 3Fg Goex launching a 470 gr. Maxi at the EVIL Watermelon. Only small pieces of rind left over to pick-up!

Previous to the BIG Explosion the Scouts hit some paper Shoot-N-C targets to great effect.

Everybody had a great time, and went home with a tale to tell :) .

Dave

as a member of (S.W.C.)i find your post,to be a direct vicious unprovoked attack,on one of natures most gentle and favorite of all produce.and to teach your wanton ways to children .by exposing them to ,the cruel senseless murder ,yes murder of a poor innocent melon, that has done you no wrong just for pleasure is unforgivable and should be dealt with as such,these melons only ask that they be our friends even though i admit ,some are from south of Texas and do not have papers they can still do the job that other produce dont want ,so give them a chance ,dont shoot them because they are different , take one to a b-b-q let them lay in ice after all it is hot south of texas ,and when thy have cooled to a nice 45 degrees carefully slice there little throat and serve them to your friends but dont shoot them with big guns . because we all know that it is wrong to shoot things from south of texas--T.B.( stop watermelon cruelty) :bull: :bow:

You really made my night! I'm laughing so hard that my Wife is thinking about limiting my use of this infernal computation device :haha: .

I didn't stop to ask if the watermelon spoke English, either, I just had one of my Scouts pump a huge chunk of hot lead through it! And I rekon I meant THROUGH it!

Me and R.Lee Ermey and our Watermelons...OOOHRAAA!

Gotta go before I wet my pants :haha: :bow: . Thanks for being "You"!

Dave

In my college years, we used to make melons explode in a slower, less dramatic way. The technique involved large quantities of Everkleer and veterinary syringes, combined with a lack of understanding of hydraulic pressure.

CProkopp,
Wow,two-bellys was right,everyone has a favorite
way of killing these poor things.
I like to just cut mine in half and eat 'em.Years ago
I was known to plug a few with 150 vodka though.
Much better than killing with a .54. You have to
know they died happy with my plug :wink:.
snake-eyes :)

Then again if Im ever surounded by a pack of watermelons out to do me in now I know how to take care of them.....must be a up north thing we aint got none like that here just the once in a while yam I hear. :youcrazy: Fred :hatsoff: ( Dont know about at 100 yds but a gal of water looks good too you know and can turn on you in seconds!)

Also shave cream cans explode nicely the foam dissappears after a while and the can can be carried away,always clea up, the range master gets ****** otherwise, In the old days a 1/4 stick of nitro dynamite was great fun,but dont use wire to hold it to a stick, ask how I know! Now you play hell finding nitro. Durn. And you could enjoy the watermelon at the same time. Bob

smokin you have no right to expose these fine young lads to the 'dark side' and the addictive attributes of BP. nevertheless - :thumbsup:

Three questions.
1)Do seedless blow better than with seeds?
2)Red or yellow ?
3)Round or oblong?

snake-eyes said:
CProkopp,
Wow,two-bellys was right,everyone has a favorite
way of killing these poor things.
I like to just cut mine in half and eat 'em.Years ago
I was known to plug a few with 150 vodka though.
Much better than killing with a .54. You have to
know they died happy with my plug :wink:.
snake-eyes :)

Did you have to remind me :shake: now i have a head ache :haha: :grin:

Seedless do blow-up better...probably more water content! Red is th only real watermelon color I know of...the other thing I never ate! Oblong blows-up better...less mess to clean up after!

It sure was fun showing the Scouts the "Dark Side"! Two of my Scouts had to do rock-paper-scizzors to see which one would get to take the Evil Watermelon OUT! :rotf:

I wouuuld have used a gallon of water in a tightly stoppered milk jug so I wouldn't have to pick on the watermelon species, but B.S.A. policy specifically prohibits litering the range with bits of plastic that could be recycled :shocked2: . So the watermelon lost cause it's made of all-natural ingredients :grin: .

The shaving cream can is a good idea! I'll have to try that one soon, after I finish ethnicly cleansing the watermelons :youcrazy: .

You guys are great! :thumbsup:

Dave

Kan't say ah'm two inturested in em watar millions.

Ah dont no whi peepel like um kuz thar warnt much liff O" it aftar ah got dun guttin it out an peelin off tha hide.

:grin:

Back