• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50/50 Dawn dish soap and water patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we want to do it like the originals did back in the 17 & 1800' s why dont we just use what they used, and how good was it? From what I have read over the years it seems no body knows 100%. We only guess at what they did and what worked. Old time lubes and cleaning will always be a mystery to some degree.
No mystery at all (BEAR OIL) , only mystery is surviving squezzing the bear !/Ed

Here is Dawn in action! Five shots on the bear target off hand at 50yds. No swabbing between shots! Any questions

IMG_8506.JPG

While living in Arizona I went to a club shoot and found that I had left home without my patch lube. I looked thru my Jeep and all I could find was Coppertone sunshine lotion. It worked great & you could locate my patch on the ground because it was the one that smelled better than the others.

There is nothing new under the sun here. As far as I’m concerned, people can post any and all things. I’m always learning something. If the thread title looks like a repeat, then don’t click on it.

I left my patch lube at home and all I had was liquid Hand Sanitizer so I tried it and it doesn’t leave your fingers slimy and it works, you would think it would start to dry out quickly with it being Alcohol based but on a patch it doesn’t, Well not that fast anyway.

Wow, a lot of snarky know-it-alls here who know everything about the subject and dont want to read yet another thread on it? Well why dont you just skip it? Just sayin. I just saw the video myself and the host said it was just reported to him and he thought he would try it. Sorry a couple of guys wanted to talk about it here. They probably thought they would get some good comments about it. Silly people.

Guess we can add that to washing oil spills off of ducks 🙃
And they weren’t even the 1st. There was a group of individuals involved with a soap company that P&G hated. When they saw a local newspaper praising the ingenuity of using various soaps with surfactants, P&G started shipping Dawn out the rescue organizations for free with the stipulation of pics had to be taken that P&G could use in advertising. The rest is history.

Wow, a lot of snarky know-it-alls here who know everything about the subject and dont want to read yet another thread on it? Well why dont you just skip it? Just sayin. I just saw the video myself and the host said it was just reported to him and he thought he would try it. Sorry a couple of guys wanted to talk about it here. They probably thought they would get some good comments about it. Silly people.
My post was a reaction to the fact that the threads popped up together within about a 36 hour window. Looking at either the “New Posts”, or the “Latest Activity” would let folks get into an already active thread. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Gonna run right out and get me some! Alcohol Denatured, C10-16 Alkyldimethylamine Oxide, Colorants, Fragrances, Methylisothiazolinone, PEI-14 PEG-24/PPG-16 Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, PPG-26, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, WaterMay also contain: C9-11 Pareth-8Contains fragrance allergen(s).

Mods can delete it if it's a duplicate post wasting peoples time and forum space. Carry on.
It's not a waste of time or forum space,,
But you have been here long enough, and shared enough, too know that there's a wealth of history in the postings of this forum about thing's that work,,
thing's that work Ok, and thing's that don't.
It's not rocket science, these are not rocket science firearms. These firearms were left behind in developmental history, "because" newer better firearms and techniques where developed.
What I'm trying to say is get this part,, these olde guns and techniques only work so good,, "Nothing"-- "new" has changed that.
Dawn dish soap and water will help you clean your gun and heck ya, a wet patch for a patched round ball combo will help you shoot.
A Youtube video of discovery by someone else,, doesn't make it new,,(?) it only show's that someone else has made the sudden discovery.
(guess what? That info has been here for decades already,, take a look ;) )

Back