• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50/50 Dawn dish soap and water as patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
After researching a thread here on this subject. I decide dot give it a try ....This was a genius idea, who ever thought of it.. I think I shot 25 to 30 shots with out swabbing in between. I high recommend everyone give it a try....

Not to mention the clean up at the end of the days was nice, with very little fouling....I was shooting 70 grains 2F ( Schuetzen) w/ .490 and .018 patch.

I mixed up a 50/50 batch in a plastic spray bottle a month or so ago but so far it sits on my shop sink and I spray it on my hands to wash up! And I have sprayed a shot down the barrels while cleaning a couple of times. But I do plan to give it a try, maybe next time out.

I switched to it a while back.
I use one of those plastic Skoal tobacco containers with a cosmetic sponge inside and keep it well soaked with the 50/50 Dawn mixture. Press a patch in the sponge to get it soaked and load. At the end of the day just snap the cover back on.
I find it a lot less messy than spraying.

one of my very best friends and forum member, mulebrain, told me this trick a couple of years ago and i never use anything else except for hunting. he said an old man at some shoot years before came up to him and asked what you got in the box? he started looking through it and said, you don't need this, you don't need that, and you sure don't need grease for patch lube! and then he told him about the dawn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was taught by a previous champion shooter. His method is to add just enough dawn to water to give a slick feel. I have a 6 oz. spray bottle and it just takes a small squirt of dawn, drops really, to achieve that result. I then give a couple spritz to the patch, damp but not wet.

Back