• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Cal effectiveness?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A .45 is gun enough if you put the ball where you want it. I took my first deer (that I didn't hit with a car) with a .45 Hawken, shooting a linen patched .445 over 75gr of 2F Goex. He was about 25 yards out when I squoze the trigger, and he ran about 20 feet before he piled up, dead as a hammer. Recovered the ball from inside the opposite shoulder blade.
This past November I took that Hawken out again with 80 gr 2F and a greased Maxi-ball conical I'd cast, mostly lead, but some wheel weights in the mix. I hit a doe just a bit forward, and she ran a few hundred yards, jumping both fences of my neighbor's horse pasture as she went. The bullet passed clean through. You can see the entrance hole in the photo with my dog, and the exit in the photo with the gun. Range was about 30 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_4440.JPG
    IMG_4440.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4442.JPG
    IMG_4442.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 118
I hit a doe just a bit forward, and she ran a few hundred yards, jumping both fences of my neighbor's horse pasture as she went.

Did it nick the heart at all? That's quite a bit forward for a lung/heart shot. I imagine that's why she ran so far.

I shot one like that and it just clipped the front of one lung. She ran about 200 yards into a swamp. I finally shot her again to finish the affair.

By the time I got around the pasture, picked up her trail and found her, she was done.

That's one of the things I would teach the new muzzleloader deer hunters when I was a guest instructor for a Black Powder class, and for hunter safety. Make the shot count and give the deer a minimum of 10 minutes, by your watch or cell phone, before you go after it. 20 minutes is often better. OH, reload right away, but be careful the adrenaline doesn't cause you to mess up the loading process, then wait. Saves one from spooking an mortally wounded but not yet expired animal, and really reduces tracking.

LD

That's one of the things I would teach the new muzzleloader deer hunters when I was a guest instructor for a Black Powder class, and for hunter safety. Make the shot count and give the deer a minimum of 10 minutes, by your watch or cell phone, before you go after it. 20 minutes is often better.
LD
My Ma taught me "shoot your deer, eat a sandwich and a cup of coffee. Then track."

That's one of the things I would teach the new muzzleloader deer hunters when I was a guest instructor for a Black Powder class, and for hunter safety. Make the shot count and give the deer a minimum of 10 minutes, by your watch or cell phone, before you go after it. 20 minutes is often better. OH, reload right away, but be careful the adrenaline doesn't cause you to mess up the loading process, then wait. Saves one from spooking an mortally wounded but not yet expired animal, and really reduces tracking.

LD

The 1st deer I shot with a muzzleloader hit the dirt at the shot. I'd shot lots of deer, but never with black powder. I didnt reload and rushed in. I mean, after all, the deer hit the deck.
I got about 10 yards from her and she jumped up and ran into the neighbors 80 acre patch we respectfully call "The Dark and Bloody".
Lets just say it was a looong night.

I got about 10 yards from her and she jumped up and ran into the neighbors 80 acre patch we respectfully call "The Dark and Bloody".
Lets just say it was a looong night.
Been there too....yeah a looong night, and in my case it was before the DNR could go retrieve your deer on the land without the landowner's permission. I'm pretty sure by the neighboring farmer's response to my asking permission, when I figured out where the spooked and dying deer had gone down the second time..., that the deer didn't rot in the farmer's field, but I didn't get any venison from it. I think his freezer was filled that night. OH WELL at least it wasn't wasted. A lesson learned, eh?

LD

I think a .45 is a great caliber. It's big enough for deer, and small enough for squirrels with head shot accuracy. The size makes loading easy and economical. Recoil is manageable for anyone capable of shouldering it..
It's the perfect all around gun (rifle) east of the Mississippi river IMO.

A card wad will not fill the rifling grooves which would be necessary to stop gas leakage, assuming there would be any in the first place. perhaps your rifle just liked the new load and would have behaved the same without the card wad.

I do indeed enjoy using the .45 for my Iowa Whitetails. I have taken them with PRB, Maxi Ball, and Maxi Hunters. 60-80 grains through the lungs and they don’t go far. This years buck I hit at the base of his neck and with a RB he dropped in his tracks! My .45’s don’t kick a lot, is accurate enough for Squirrel hunting, have taken a few coyotes, and work on deer. Just a great all around caliber!!
21424D2F-30D1-4511-B7EF-71C9B225E689.jpeg
21424D2F-30D1-4511-B7EF-71C9B225E689.jpeg

I do indeed enjoy using the .45 for my Iowa Whitetails. I have taken them with PRB, Maxi Ball, and Maxi Hunters. 60-80 grains through the lungs and they don’t go far. This years buck I hit at the base of his neck and with a RB he dropped in his tracks! My .45’s don’t kick a lot, is accurate enough for Squirrel hunting, have taken a few coyotes, and work on deer. Just a great all around caliber!! View attachment 28546View attachment 28546
And yours is dang pretty to boot!

It didn't get the heart at all, just nicked a lung, and broke the offside leg. By the time I got around the pasture, picked up her trail and found her, she was done.

Not the best placed shot for sure. But, then the hunter who says all his shots are perfectly placed is a liar.

Back