• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal CVA squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark V

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a older stainless CVA 45 caliber percussion that had squirrel on the barrel and wondered if anyone has come across one. I paid $125 and did not think it was to bad of a price for how nice of shape it was. Any info would be nice.

:photoSmile: I thought they only made them in .32 and .36 traditional styles. Maybe the stainless .45 was a limited trial?

I remember seeing the .45cal barrels being offered as accessories for them. Never heard af one in stainless steel though. :idunno: :confused:

Are you sure it is stainless and not just polished "in the white" steel?

I just noticed your other post where you say "the wood stock is painted black". Makes me wonder if it`s not a kit rifle where someone left the barrel in the white and painted the stock. Back in the 80`s when CVA Squirrel rifles were made plastic stocks and stainless steel were the new "cool" thing to have. Maybe someone wanted that modern look.

I took the stock off of the gun tonight and now I'm thinking it was not such a good deal. There looks like someone was wrenching on the end of the barrel and messed up the end. It looks like something was sticking out but is snapped off?

The black paint on the stock is so thick I think it was dipped then sanded. It was probably a kit gun. I still think it's stainless but I'm not sure what white steel is either.

Does a magnet stick to the barrel? If it's steel "in the white" or unblued, the magnet will stick. If stainless, no stickie.

The CVA Squirrel Rifles were offered with .32 and .45 barrels as a package, at least in the kits. Brother in law has one that he never finished the .32 barrel.

This is the breech end of my .32cal Squirrel barrel. Yours should look the same. If the hook on yours is broken off you have a problem as it`s what locks the breech end into the tang. Could be some idiot tried to remove your breech plug by using a wrench on the hook and snapped it off? I hope not.
Hope this pic is some help.

002-3.jpg

Wow! After seeing this one there is probably 1/4" missing. I think this is a job for the local gunsmith. Thanks SgtSchutzen you are a huge help. There are a couple of teeth marks on the side of the barrel that look like a vise. I could not see them when the stock was on but is there anyway to fix these?

On a CVA you have to remove the drum to remove the breech plug. May they didn't?. The only place you might get help from is Deer Creek in Waldron, Indiana. Ph 765-525-6181 . I have one in a .32 cap, good little gun. My buddy had one in a .32 flint. He had two barrels, one was a .45. Dilly

Twintip, this really does need a photo.
Do you have access to a camra at all?

It's fairly common for folks with little knowledge to bugger up a breech of this design.
Sometimes the visegrip marks are just cosmetic and the breech is still safe, other times they have gone too far and can indeed ruin the barrel.

DeerCreek will not re-breech, or even sell you a drum. They will sell you a new barrel.
Most modern Gunsmiths won't touch a traditional styled ML barrel either but it is worth getting an opinion from someone local.

Beg/borrow a camra an get some pics up here so we can see what you've got going on.

I agree with necchi, we need a pic in order to know for sure what`s up. If indeed the hook is broken off your breech plug you might be kinda screwed. You may end up with more $$ into the fix than you paid for the gun.

Perhaps you could get a skilled welder to build up some metal on the broken piece, then a new hook could be filed. The process should not be too difficult.

Hope you can get your problem solved and your rifle put to use. :hatsoff:

Acorn mush my dad is a certified weilder and that's about my only alternative. I have quickly learned that even if you could find a breech plug off of a old barrel no gun shop will touch them.

Twintip41 said:
Acorn mush my dad is a certified weilder and that's about my only alternative. I have quickly learned that even if you could find a breech plug off of a old barrel no gun shop will touch them.

As long as the threaded portions of the breech plug and the drum & nipple are not compromised, you should have nothing to worry about by building up the broken stub with weld material. The plug itself is most likely mild steel anyway, unless I am mistaken. At any rate, the repaired area is not going to be subjected to the pressures of discharge. The only function of the hooked breech is to lock the rear end of the barrel in place in the stock, yet provide for easy disassembly therefrom for cleaning.

Since your dad is a certified welder, I'd say you were in an enviable position with respect to getting a high-quality repair done. Might be a good excuse to invite dad over for a barbecue, too. :grin:

Latest posts

Back