• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 Navy Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Hardy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention...
I live near a Confederate memorial/museum here in Alabama. They have several CW pistols on display, including a Savage in quite nice shape. The interesting one is what is obviously a '51 Navy Colt. The interesting part is, it is identified as an Army Colt. It also appears to be .44 Cal. Now, it is pretty badly corroded, but, not bad enough to make it appear to be a .44. I am trying to make time to go back and see if I can get a photo out of the glass case. There is an amazing collection of pistols on display.

Not sure of the provenence, I had the wife and three grandsons with me, so I didn't really have time. Fortunately, it's only about twenty minutes away. They also have an 1860 Army Colt identified as a Brevet made under license in Belgium.

I believe the Army did buy some 1851s, but it would take some time for me to go through all my books to find a source. Nothing I've ever read leads me to believe a .44 caliber 1851 was ever made by Colt. The "Army" & "Navy" designations refer to caliber more than who actually acquired the revolvers. Also, I've noted more than a few errors by museums in labeling firearms, including our local museum. I was about to ask to change the labeling but some kid broke into the museum & stole them before I could get to it.

During the Civil War, the cavalry (army) used pretty much every type of revolver around, both .36 and .44cal. The "army"/"navy" names mean nothing as to who used them. Colt made one or two prototypes of a .44 "navy" but that's all.

It's not a Colt. It was made by Dance for the Confederate. I'm not positive, but the .44 might have been a copy of the Dragoon.

Colt never made a 51 in .44 cal.

Don't believe it's a Dance. It has a recoil shield and an octagonal barrel. Like I said, it is pretty corroded and the bore could just be badly eaten up. Gotta go back and take a closer look. It was just weird how they I.D.'d the rest of the pistols right on, but missed what was obviously a '51.

Hey Lizardo, did you used to go by the name of Lizard on a pretty historicaly heavy forum of which the name escapes me several years ago? If so good to see you around again, if not still good to see ya here.

As said, to the best of my knowledge Colt made a few experimental 44 Navies when they were working on the 1860 Army. If I recall, there might have been around 6 that never left the factory.
Let us know what you find? Try to take a digital photo and post.

They also made a few .40 cal Navies. It would be plausible that they experimented with .44 cal as well.

No, that wasn't me. Lizard was a nickname I picked up during a shooting session many years ago, though. Anyway, it's great to be here, lots of nice, knowledgable folks.

Just found the two pics I took of the pistol. Although neither is a muzzle on shot, I doubt seriously that it is a .44. The cylinder is NOT rebated and the loading plunger is too small. It is I.D.'d wrong and I may still drop by the museum and try to correct the error. I'll try to post some photos, particularly of 'The Wall' dedicated to the Confederates from my area that died in the conflict.

Lizardo? Not Dr.Emilio Lizardo, aka Lord John Whorfin of "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" fame?

CP

Back