• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 cal Pietta Buffalo 12"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, try shooting it like this guy and you are likely to become a 'how not to' statistic.

And don't cap up until the cylinder is back in the gun and pointing safely downrange.

Are you are the guy on airgunbbs.com?

Good afternoon

I have seen a good condition example for sale and quite like the idea of having one. Is there anything I should be aware of before I take this any further?

Thanks.
I have two... a brass frame and one all-steel... both are Pietta. I have only shot the brass frame one with 25 grains of Pyrodex P powder as a max load. Very easy to shoot and so far have none of the dreaded "frame stretches you hear about. Mine is a target version with sights as are my other two 7 or 8" barreled ones. I like the looks of the brass frame and the most problem I've had so far has been one cylinder that rusted (Hawaii) and in cleaning the rust off the bluing started to shed, so I cleaned off and re-blued the cylinder... didn't do too bad... was a very long process to get it looking "blue". about 3 days of tinkering with it.

You will like the gun, it is heavy but in my opinion, not unbalanced, and it is accurate. For hunting deer at close range, would do just fine. This very same pistol has taken not only deer but African plains game as well, so it will do the job. Round balls are accurate, easy to load and likely your most used projectile. Conicals will fit, I size to .452 before loading, but .450 or .451 might make it easier depending on your cylinder. Conicals for me so far haven't been really satisfying for general shooting. There is much more recoil which I think affects my accuracy with these much beyond 15 or 20 yards... still be able to hunt with it, but not winning any burgers likely much .. :D

I'd vote for your purchase! :D Much Aloha...

Full frame brass are not as bad as half frame. Still 25gns plenty even in steel frame.
I would not advise putting off hand in front of cylinder when shooting. One chain fire and your day and possibly future could be permanently changed.

Full frame brass are not as bad as half frame. Still 25gns plenty even in steel frame.
I would not advise putting off-hand in front of the cylinder when shooting. One chain fire and your day and possibly future could be permanently changed.
I've yet to experience these phenomena. I load powder, wad, bullet and try when I can get them, to use #10 caps. If no can, I squeeze #11 and push them on with the hammer (carefully) or more likely a 3/8" dowel that has been rouned to seat them on the nipple. Rarely ever have a misfire, and have again, yet to experience a chain fire. I'm not going to be loading grease in front of my ball anytime soon, but if and when I ever experience a chain fire I might consider it, but a greased wad serves so far. :D Aloha...

I would not advise putting off hand in front of cylinder when shooting. One chain fire and your day and possibly future could be permanently changed.

It’s actually not as bad as people think according to some testing. With the barrel removed a .44 cal Colt using 30 grns IIRC produced just 8 ft/lbs of energy. No doubt that hurt, and I’d not do it nor advocate for doing such, but not that serious.

Back