• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4 wing musket cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Wesley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What are people's views and experience with Schutzen 4 wing caps. My Armi Sport Enfield misfires on CCI's but does well on the RWS. Looking forward to more reenacting events for next year and will need to stock up again.

I’ve found that four winged caps are less powerful than six winged caps.

The 6 wing were the old CCI that were great, that is until a REENACTOR sued CCI when a chunk of cap hit him. Now CCI makes the worst caps on the market. Of the current production 4 wing, RWS and Schuetzen are the best.

I think Scheutzen caps are made by someone else. Musket caps are hotter than #11s
And yes stock up, since I think those are imported by Scheutzen from Germany.

I use the Schuetzen caps and they work excellent for me. Beware, the cups aren't brass but brass coated mild steel, so if they fit tight and you don't get reliable ignition, chuck the nipple up into your drill and skim a little bit off the O.D. until the cap sits flush.

I found RWS caps to be great. I prefer the 6 wing but do have a tin of 4 wing put away. CCI folded on that one!

Schuetzen caps are about $10 per 1000 cheaper than RWS. Looking forward to blasting a lot of powder this next reenacting season. Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think Scheutzen caps are made by someone else. Musket caps are hotter than #11s
And yes stock up, since I think those are imported by Scheutzen from Germany.
William,
I purchased some Schuetzen musket caps about 2 months ago. They are made in Spain. Go figure with a name like Scheutzen
Larry

The 6 wing were the old CCI that were great, that is until a REENACTOR sued CCI when a chunk of cap hit him. Now CCI makes the worst caps on the market. Of the current production 4 wing, RWS and Schuetzen are the best.
I had a few tins of those new style CCI c(R) aps which I mostly used to clear the firepath on my Sharps. With it they were perfectly useless.
After Larry Flees did his fix on my Smith carbine the shorter, better firepath work he did now it works perfectly with CCI c(r)ap. I have almost a full tin left then it is on to RWS..
Hold center
Bunk

I’ve had failure to fire w them. 25% won’t pop. My percussion sharps hates them. Musket and Potsdam don’t like them. Nope and I have 700 of them left. My Potsdam don’t like them and that hammer needs a whole had to pull it back. With that said when they do go off my accuracy is no different than w RWS

I’ve had failure to fire w them. 25% won’t pop. My percussion sharps hates them. Musket and Potsdam don’t like them. Nope and I have 700 of them left. My Potsdam don’t like them and that hammer needs a whole had to pull it back. With that said when they do go off my accuracy is no different than w RWS
I’m guessing I’ve fired about 1,000 of these- never had a misfire/ hangfire. Maybe a bad lot?

Not a clue on the Schutzen caps, but I’d be willing to give them a go in my Burnside Carbine , if I could find them. Local gun stores only carry CCI and limit those to 100 at a time.
The CCI worked first time every time.

Not a clue on the Schutzen caps, but I’d be willing to give them a go in my Burnside Carbine , if I could find them. Local gun stores only carry CCI and limit those to 100 at a time.
The CCI worked first time every time.

If you want a stable supply of stuff to shoot black powder, you'll probably have to order or pick it up on a road trip thanks to guv regs. I've had no issues getting stuff but I buy in quantities that many would consider bulk. My normal powder consumption rate is about 30+lbs per year with an amount of caps to match. No way a lgs will ever have what I need in the quantities I buy. What you might consider is getting to know an N-SSA competitor in your area who will have a supply on hand. Maybe they could help.

If you want a stable supply of stuff to shoot black powder, you'll probably have to order or pick it up on a road trip thanks to guv regs. I've had no issues getting stuff but I buy in quantities that many would consider bulk. My normal powder consumption rate is about 30+lbs per year with an amount of caps to match. No way a lgs will ever have what I need in the quantities I buy. What you might consider is getting to know an N-SSA competitor in your area who will have a supply on hand. Maybe they could help.
I hear ya. For a number of years now my routine has been to place a yearly order of 15 to 20 pounds depending on my supply on hand thru Grafs, more to spread out the haz mat cost than any other reason. Same with percussion caps. It only the last year I’ve needed musket caps as my primary interest are cap and ball revolvers.
The Burnside will stay behind in Rhode Island when we trek south for the winter. I’ve a couple hundred musket caps on hand, that’s about a summers worth of shooting the carbine come spring back north. I’ve 25 pounds of powder and over 6000 percussion caps on hand.

Curious as to the purpose of the “wings” on the “4” wing musket, and does the 4 indicate others had/have more or less.
Im guessing the initial size was indicative of the
early priming mixture. Stronger compounds led to the reduced size that were found on later muskets.
At any rate the CCI’s on my Burnside are very reliable and are totally intact after firing. One could possibly reload them 😁

Back