• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still can't find any RWS Musket Caps anywhere. Natchez says "Discontinued" in their listing. Some sites have those CCI Re-enactment 4 wing caps...Has anyone tried them? Are they worth buying?

'morning,

Agree with Hawkeye, the CCI reenactment caps are garbage! I've found that the Schutzen musket caps work well on my Sharps and muskets.

Mike

Avoid CCI musket caps like ebola. manure accuracy. Schuetzen are a perfectly acceptable substitute

Found a bunch of Eley musket caps . . . .

What’s the feeling toward those?

since my Smith carbine has a very short fire path the CCI c(R) aps work just fine. On my Sharps not so much.
RWS caps work much better.

Eley will work.

CCI were great until some dimbulb of a reenactor got a chunk in his eye and sued them. I've seen reenactors do some really dumb things like use 90+gr for their blanks "to make a louder bang" and then they'll also drill out the nipple "for reliability" and then wonder why their hammer gets blown back to full cock on each shot. Of course when that happens, no telling what happened to the cap.

. . . . .I've seen reenactors do some really dumb things like use 90+gr for their blanks "to make a louder bang" and then they'll also drill out the nipple "for reliability" and then wonder why their hammer gets blown back to full cock on each shot. Of course when that happens, no telling what happened to the cap.

Many years ago, I had a Navy Arms Zouave whose hammer blew back with the “gub’munt load” of 60 grs. FFG.
The mainspring was very weak (as are most of those repros.)

Last edited:
The original nipple on my long ago Zouave had a very large hole for the flash channel and reasonable loads would blow the nipple back to half cock. I replaced the original nipple and the number 11 nipple that came with it with properly sized nipples. The #11 caps were as reliable as the musket caps. At that time I was using Navy Arms Branded caps and CCI #11.

Many years ago, I had a Navy Arms Zouave whose hammer blew back with the “gov’ment load” of 60 grs. FFG.
The mainspring was very weak (as are most of those repros.)
I've seen one of those but the guys I was talking about were shooting blanks

RWS musket caps are my strong preference for my Shiloh 1863 carbine, Parker Hale Enfield musketoon, and Euroarms Enfield 1858 two-bander, but FWIW I have shot two tins of the CCI re-enactor caps with no problems what so ever. I was puzzled when posts started appearing on this and the NSSA forum about the poor quality of the CCI musket caps since I experienced none of the problems described. Granted I haven't used a lot of them. Perhaps I was just lucky.

RWS musket caps are my strong preference for my Shiloh 1863 carbine, Parker Hale Enfield musketoon, and Euroarms Enfield 1858 two-bander, but FWIW I have shot two tins of the CCI re-enactor caps with no problems what so ever. I was puzzled when posts started appearing on this and the NSSA forum about the poor quality of the CCI musket caps since I experienced none of the problems described. Granted I haven't used a lot of them. Perhaps I was just lucky.
Do you shoot competition? You'll find out quick why we don't like them in the N-SSA.

I compete almost exclusively with flintlocks - both smoothbore and rifle. I did, however, win the 2016 Maine State Championship Military Musket match using the Parker Hale 1861 musketoon. Pretty sure I would have used RWS caps during a competitive event. Anyway, if all you're doing is informal paper punching at the local range, perhaps the CCI caps are worth a try.

Found a bunch of Eley musket caps . . . .

What’s the feeling toward those?
Better check those may be chlorate based and if so are very corrosive. They have to be old but if they work and you clean carefully with water great make smoke!
Hold Center
Bunk

I compete almost exclusively with flintlocks - both smoothbore and rifle. I did, however, win the 2016 Maine State Championship Military Musket match using the Parker Hale 1861 musketoon. Pretty sure I would have used RWS caps during a competitive event. Anyway, if all you're doing is informal paper punching at the local range, perhaps the CCI caps are worth a try.
CCI caps might work with reliability in a musket with that short fire path. They work well in my Smith carbine but seem to really choke the nipple with a very hard fouling.
Good Luck
Bunk

Just scored 1k Musket caps Buffalo Arms! :cool: Had a little extra jingle from some post season yard work (I do landscaping/property clean-up on the side), so I grabbed some for myself.

Back