• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4 wing musket caps for a TC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found that sometimes it's hard to find #11 caps. Luckily there were some at the local HW store for $13.99 so I scored.
Sometimes the only thing around here and on line are the Hotter Musket caps. Found some TC and Treso Musket nipples
for TC in the 1/4 28 thread. It would give a hotter spark and another option for caps. Does anyone have experience with them
and if so, what is your take on them?

I have a nipple that allows me to use the larger Musket Cap instead of the smaller#11 Percussion caps on my Traditions Hawken style .50 cal rifle and it works just fine. Don't remember the brand or name of the nipple. I have heard that some guns need thehammer to be slightly bent to get a proper strike on the nipple.

I use musket caps on all percussion rifles because they're easier for my clumsy fingers to handle. "They" say the smaller caps are more accurate, which is probably true, but I can't tell any difference.

All I use on my T/C.. If you use the RIO/Scheutzen caps, you need to turn the Treso nipples down some. Chuck up the thread portion in a drill, run the drill and lay a small file on the nipple portion until the cap fits completely down on the nipple..

Very positive ignition on Triple 7 FFFg.

If the hammer strikes the nipple up front, change to a different hammer. The swept back (low) spur version has a different geometry that works better with musket nipples.

See this thread:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/renegade-hammer.161319/

Last edited:
I have found that sometimes it's hard to find #11 caps. Luckily there were some at the local HW store for $13.99 so I scored.
Sometimes the only thing around here and on line are the Hotter Musket caps. Found some TC and Treso Musket nipples
for TC in the 1/4 28 thread. It would give a hotter spark and another option for caps. Does anyone have experience with them
and if so, what is your take on them?
I’m using them for several different big bore barrels. (All t/c) And I have been happy with my results. Once the snow comes off the range I’ll try them on a couple 40 and 45 caliber long range rifles. I picked up a couple thousand of the Scheutzen caps and I need more so I guess they’re working…

WRT @chorizo comments, the Scheutzen caps are made of mild steel. The cap NEEDS to fit snugly and fully down on the cone and the hammer needs to strike squarely or you’ll get a face full of ejecta every shot.

I have a nipple that allows me to use the larger Musket Cap instead of the smaller#11 Percussion caps on my Traditions Hawken style .50 cal rifle and it works just fine. Don't remember the brand or name of the nipple. I have heard that some guns need thehammer to be slightly bent to get a proper strike on the nipple.

Had to bend the hammer on my TC Hawken to reliably use musket caps. Put it in a vise with a large screw driver acting as a wedge on the hammer neck to help with keeping it from moving. Put a box end 13 mm wrench over the end that hits the caps and pulled like the devil to bend it. I could feel the slight bending happen after all the slack of the wrench flex was taken up. I did not want to attempt this but after not being able to find any #11 caps and having musket caps in possession I decided the risk was worth it.

I've switched back and forth over the years depending on what was readily available. And as someone else mentioned the musket caps are easier to fumble with if you've got stiff arthritic mechanic hands like mine.

Back