• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 vs 44 in CB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have only had .44 pistols so far, just wondering if there are good reasons to try .36? BTW I am only punching paper.

have been thinking on this myself lately! might be a tad bit more cheap to shoot! also i guess i just dont have one! yet

I wouldn't buy one unless I was going to impersonate Josey Wales :haha: and then I'd want the right gun for the shoulder rig he had in the movie!

.44 holes are small enough for me to try to see :wink: .

Dave

Go for it. They use less lead and less powder. That's why I bought mine. Perfect for plinking.

Less powder yes, but remember to use ENOUGH! I had to duck a couple times when this old Codger put 10-12 grains into his mighty .36 wheelgun and began to blast away at the paper target. Only problem was the Club that we were shootin' at uses 3/8" plywood as a target backer, and he was shootin' at a BRAND NEW backer without any holes in it yet! So his balls were just bouncin' off the backer after only minorly denting the target paper itself, causing all of us to duck & cover like a Nuclear Bomb Drill from the 60's! :rotf: :shocked2: :shake:

Dave

Matchlock72 said:
How are they for sound?

I have no idea since I've yet to fire it without ear protection and compare it against a .44. But it's not a high pitch crack. It's still a satisfying low pitch boom that rings.

smokin .50 said:
Less powder yes, but remember to use ENOUGH! I had to duck a couple times when this old Codger put 10-12 grains into his mighty .36 wheelgun and began to blast away at the paper target. Only problem was the Club that we were shootin' at uses 3/8" plywood as a target backer, and he was shootin' at a BRAND NEW backer without any holes in it yet! So his balls were just bouncin' off the backer after only minorly denting the target paper itself, causing all of us to duck & cover like a Nuclear Bomb Drill from the 60's! :rotf: :shocked2: :shake:

Dave

Sounds like what happened when I fired it in my garage using a 9mm casing as a powder measure (about 12 grains unsettled). It put a quarter inch dent in my pine backstop and bounced back hitting me in the foot. For the rest of the shots, I put a few pieces of cardboard between the pine and the target face.

Norinco said:
Matchlock72 said:
How are they for sound?

I have no idea since I've yet to fire it without ear protection and compare it against a .44. But it's not a high pitch crack. It's still a satisfying low pitch boom that rings.

smokin .50 said:

Dave

Sounds like what happened when I fired it in my garage using a 9mm casing as a powder measure (about 12 grains unsettled). It put a quarter inch dent in my pine backstop and bounced back hitting me in the foot. For the rest of the shots, I put a few pieces of cardboard between the pine and the target face.

We weren't lucky enough to get hit in the foot since the balls were whizzin' past our EARS :shocked2: . Brings to mind a certain movie line, "You'll shoot your eye out!"

Glad you didn't get hurt!

Take care & be SAFE! Gotta go to the Scout Meeting, so I'll chat later.

Dave

Loaded with 20-22 grains of powder they have less boom and less recoil than a .44.

That said, they still have enough power to let you know they are no toy. They can do some serious damage.

My main reason for owning as many as I do is I decided I wanted guns just like the ones that existed in the mid 1800's so I have a .36 Whitney, Colt 1851, Remington New Model Navy and 3 different Confederate models.

I just like .36 revolvers plus the Colt 1860. That's really the only .44 I like.

I shoot mostly 44's, Remmies & ROA. But Had to have a '51 Navy to experience the legendary pointing ability. Accidently got a '62 Pocket Navy 1st, & really like both of them. The Colts are a bit more of a challenge to hit with but that's part of the fun, & the 36's are a bit cheaper to shoot. The '62 is very slick handling & I intend to replace the front sight & get it to hit point of aim @ 20 yards for small game & backup for M/L deer hunting.

I've never heard anyone say the 58 points good. I certainly won't. It's a clunker made for girly hands. :blah:

I like the way my 58 points. And the Grips on my new Pietta are larger than my Uberti. But like Capper said I have girly hands. :rotf: That has given me an advantage.... before I was a pastor I was a bus mechanic. No problem with tight engin bays. :grin:

yea right! wear a size 15 ring! but i aint found a pistol yet to fit these meathooks!but my next pistola WILL be a colt! i had orderd two, you may remember or maybe not at YOUR age :rotf: a 58 remmie ande a 60 army{mostly on your reccomendation!} and the debit card fell short ! they sent the remmie and when a week went by and no 60 i called and found out i was a little shorter than i thought! so starting over on the quarters and dollars for the 60 :cursing:

Don't tell me the 58 fits your hand, or i'm not going for the size 15 ring.

The distance between the front of the grip and the back of the trigger guard is way too small for my fingers. Every shot I feel it in that finger from the trigger guard.

Girly hand gun.

Why didn't you just order the 60?

no it DONT fit! i actually orderd both but the card didnt fly on the second one! cabellas had the remmie on for 199 and i ordered it first aqnd before i could order the 60 the old woman orderd something for her horses! then when i got in the next day i orderd ihe colt but that didnt work out! do ya think you could send me a couple of yourn to familiar myself with till i can get another? :hmm:

I have the answer for you. Cabelas will take the gun back. Even if you've shot it. I know this, because i've done it.

Send the Remington back in exchange for the Colt.

You should have got a return label with the Remington, so shipping will cost you nothing.

Latest posts

Back