• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 vs .40 cal rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a .32, .36, or a .40 and I use a shotgun for small game. I have both a .45 and three .50s to use for deer. The .32 fouls too easily so it requires more swabbing. I would opt for a .36 which is just the ticket for small game without too many headaches IMO.
I have been looking for an affordable Seneca in .36 for a while for those reasons.

If you've already got a rifle for deer you don't need another, even a do-it-all .40 (which I own and love). I recommend either a .32 or .36. I shoot these little calibers more than any others; they're cheap to feed. I cast my own - you can also buy bulk buckshot - so ammo isn't a problem.

I finished a kit and have put 2.5 lb of lead thru the gun a .36....Only used a little over 1 can of powder...Works wonders on wood chucks and tree rats if loaded down. It shots great with .018 ticking loaded from 18 gr to 40 gr of 3f or 2f.
I am very happy with the gun and don't regret it one bit....I have done one informal tin can target shoot w my buddys they were using 50s and I won :thumbsup: W pillow ticking .018 at 50 yards one inch groups are very doable. I supect with some more fine tuning of loads I might be able to half a 1 inch group at 50 yards...Waiting on more ticking.
Also now that the barrel is broke in it fouls no more than any other ml I have seen or owned...It has round bottom rifleling so cleaning is easy.

hornady .350 000 buck shot sold by 5lb box will provide lots of fun :v

I would go with a .36 cal. I recently purchased one and am incredibly impressed with the accuracy and how flat shooting it is. And it is very easy on powder and lead as previous said. Also can buy 000 buckshot to shoot as well.

I like the .40... Never owned or shot a .36 so I can't compare them, but I do know that my .40 with the slow twist 1 in 72 Ed Rayl barrel with round bottom rifling will accept any load I feed it with good accuracy from 35 to 70 grains with a .018 spit patch & .395 ball. It's the most enjoyable rifle I ever built and shot. I'm a fan of the .40... It's not mentioned here, but I also like my .45's!

I have a 32,36 and a 40. My favorite one is the one that is my hands when using it. Agreed, I have deer rifles, these small bores are for anything else.Take what profile of gun and barrel that feels good and enjoy

If it were me,I'd pick the .36 because you can shoot 000 buckshot in it. 000 buckshot is .350 in diameter and is cheaper than regular round balls. The .36 is an excellent small game caliber.

I'm wanting to get a medium twist .36 to shoot round ball and heavier bullets (i.e., all those .38 caliber molds running loose in the world).
I used to love coasting in 160 grain slugs in on rabbits from afar. Maybe get the chance to do it again.
Anywho, it would be some kinda fun to play with. So, my final vote is cast for .36.

davescott said:
Problem wasn't the calibrr of gun used. It was the caliber of slob shooting it.
I the worse case example I mentioned, "Absolutely Right"! Don't know if he would have been successful with a .90 caliber...what an idiot. In others, it openly appeared a matter of a severe lack of knowledge of deer anatomy. The following year we showed a side view of a deer color photo blown up to poster size and asked various hunters to point at where the "best" location or locations were for ball impact. At least half pointed to about mid-body center! :shocked2:

"Any hit in the boiler room, right?"
"And just where do you think this boiler room is?" :doh:

Wes/Tex said:
davescott said:
Problem wasn't the calibrr of gun used. It was the caliber of slob shooting it.
I the worse case example I mentioned, "Absolutely Right"! Don't know if he would have been successful with a .90 caliber...what an idiot. In others, it openly appeared a matter of a severe lack of knowledge of deer anatomy. The following year we showed a side view of a deer color photo blown up to poster size and asked various hunters to point at where the "best" location or locations were for ball impact. At least half pointed to about mid-body center! :shocked2:

"Any hit in the boiler room, right?"
"And just where do you think this boiler room is?"
:doh:

emphasis added

regrettably, some folks just aren't ready to go out into the woods.

(the boiler room, by the way, is usually just aft of the steerage locker) irrc

I have owned both. I sold the 40 and kept the 36 either is a good choice. don`t think you can go wrong with either one. why not get both. :thumbsup:

I own them both. It would be a very hard decision if I had to pick between them. I guess that's why I have both calibers. If I was hunting coyote, fox, deer ( where legal ), or even a shooting match where I would have to knock down metal plates I'd properly pick the .40 caliber. But if I was hunting squirrels, turkey, ground hogs, I'd properly pick the .36 caliber.

Even the thought of having to pick one or the other is stressing me out. "LOL"

I have a 36 and a 40 and I have not shot the 36 for years. The 40 does is all and it does it better than the 36. My 36 is a custom built rifle with Green Mountain barrel, tuned small Silar lock, and Davis triggers and it will shoot one hole groups at 25 yards with a 25 grain charge of 3Fg. But my 40 is better. It is not finicky about a load. Anything from 30 to 60 grains will shoot into a bug hole out to 40 yards, and it doesn't foul likt eh 36. Get a 40.

I would go with a .36 cal. I recently purchased one and am incredibly impressed with the accuracy and how flat shooting it is. And it is very easy on powder and lead as previous said. Also can buy 000 buckshot to shoot as well.

Discussing which is better is useless, it has gone on here forever and with no resolve at all.
There is no inherent accuracy between a .36 and .40 round ball. There is no ballistic coefficient for round balls.

Folks spend $1,500 to $2,000 on a rifle and worry about cents per pound of powder and lead. Does that may sense? Nope.

Find a rifle that fits you, that is the most important factor.

MSW said:
regrettably, some folks just aren't ready to go out into the woods.

(the boiler room, by the way, is usually just aft of the steerage locker) irrc
It's somewhat humorous, but I thought about adding that very thing or some variation like "below deck, aft"! :wink:

Since it's just for small game and shooting fun, not much difference in the 36 and a 32 or 36 and a 40. If you were thinking of getting one used, I'd look around and p/u whatever you find that is good and at a good price.
I've never shot a 40 but have several 32s and just recently got a 36. If you are buying new or building one, Id go with a 36. A little more distance than the 32 but and still good enough for any small game.

...also, tin cans are easy to kill and the .36 has plenty of power for that, too. You don't need any more power than that.

I've got both and prefer the 36. Although 40 is legal for deer, I'm not quite comfortable with the it for that, especially when there are a couple of 50s in the rack. 40 can be a little too much for a gray squirrel and when you load down a little you really need to check your POI at different ranges. It can be a dramatic difference from your full load. Although not much smaller, the 36 does not vary as much due to the lighter ball.

Back