• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 caliber TN big game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Logan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
well TN has gone and done it. Now the .36 or larger muzzleloader is legal for deer, bear and elk. What the *&%$. ELK and BEAR??? only 5 elk are taken each year on a lottery. I guess field tips will be legal for archery big game next. Now any caliber shotgun is legal for turkey with #4 or smaller. That is good for the 54 smoothie hunters. well I guess the 45 that I have always hesitated to hunt deer with just became my main deer weapon, its plenty capable according to the experts. Who cares about recovering your game anyway. we have a 100+ day deer season and you are allowed to kill 3 doe a day = 300 deer for the freezer a year. this kinda reminds me of the good old days when deer hunting meant just skinning em and selling the hides to the Europeans shortly before they were almost eliminated from most of the state. Modern Management TWRA style.

Not doubting what you've said, but i can't believe they'd do that, that's crazy :youcrazy:.

I agree with you 100% that they're allowing to many deer to be taken in middle Tn for sure. Not to mention what you said about the deer that'll for sure be lost from being hit with a slow, pea sized projectile. What next, sling shots... :shocked2:

I'd venture a guess that a lot of the folks who shoot a bear with a .36 ML once won't do it again. The bears will educate 'em. :wink:

Help me out with the logic here, Is there another state in the Union where you can hunt bear, elk and whitetail deer with a squirrel caliber gun?? As they say consider the source, these are the same EXPERTS that plan on getting rid of TN's wild hogs by not allowing them to be hunted by anyone but landowners. Logic says that could create a bigger problem. If a die hard hog hunter wants to keep hunting hogs legally and they dont have any on the land THEY own, then some hogs will mysteriously show up on their property, which is exactly what the TWRA should be trying to avoid.

they do some stupid stuff in tn. look what they did with hog hunting.should be wide open kill them all by any means.

Gentlemen, Allow me to point out that the esteamed Davy Crockett killed 125 bear over 5 years with Betsey number 2 , thats the one he was given by the voters when he was in congress. Betsey no 2 was a 40 cal. If a bear can be killed with a 40 why not a 36? corse you need to be old Davey to get her done. I personally 36 and the 40 is too light for deer. That ought to raise a hackle or two, I know there are several folks out there that use a 40 for deer. Thats your business, As for me 45 cal is my minimum cal deer caleber, just my thinking on the matter yours hounddog

T.O.
Friend I certainly can't speak for anyone but
myself.I hunt deer in Ohio with a .45 almost
exclusively,but at times use a .50. I don't hunt
bear,elk or moose,but I do know I would use nothing less than .50 and would prefer a .54 if
hunting them.IMO
snake-eyes

TN can and will always be viewed as backwards. I love living here, but I do have often ? the "experts" way of thinking sometimes. Maybe the 36 on deer is okay, but elk and bear :idunno: but it seems that the purpose of deer season is to thin the herd, no one but the hunter cares if you dont find them all. It is not uncommon to hear soybean farmers talk about their deer predation permits that allow them to gut shoot deer all summer long and not recover them so they run out of the fields to die. :barf:It makes me sick to my stomach, but then again, that is the opinion of someone that is not a farmer.

I think a better idea would be to allow turkey hunting with a ML rifle,maybe some day....I agree a 36 is a bit small for deer but having killed one cleanly last year with a 40 kinda wonder if a 36 might be OK given good shooting and hunting discipline,That is not something you can not depend on though!!!!BTW I'll NOT be taking my 36 seneca to the deer woods this year :shake: :surrender:

I totally agree about the ML rifle for turkeys, In some middle TN counties like Hickman where I used to live the limit is 6 either sex in the fall. and of course the 4 toms in the spring. If the purpose is to thin the flock why not use a ML rifle. I still think the guy with the benelli or browning semi full of 3.5 in heavy shot has the advantage.

I have an original mountain rifle from that neck of the woods that is 36 caliber. I'm guessing it was used to shoot more than squirrels a time or two. A few years ago North Dakota changed the laws and unintentionally made it legal to hunt deer with a .380 acp pistol. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

agreed My SP10 remy gives turkey a whoopin' :thumbsup: but I'd still like to get one with a flint rifle :grin:

Realistically, it would be rare indeed for a traditional rifle hunter to use a .36 just because he can. The ones that do are more likely than not, experts, in the truest sense.

Oregon will allow a .25 handgun for elk, i can't believe anyone has or would try it. The lawmakers don't always know what they are writing about, it just looks good that they passed a new law. Makes no sense to me.

steve

I can't imagine Oregon would think that would do the job cleanly on such a large animal. I guess I have under estimated the .25 caliber handgun. I dont have any experience with elk. I guess one in the lung the elk is going to die you just wont have much of a blood trail.

BillinOregon said:
Hanshi: I agree. It would be like hunting quail with a full-choked .410 and would require a great deal of skill and finesse to bring off humanely. Certainly not for beginners!

My first Quail kill was with a .410 full choke. The Quail was coming straight down a old field road towards me, when he got to about 10 yards i pulled the trigger on him.Nothing but a few feathers and a little meat left :shake: I think i was around 8 years old at the time :grin: I still remember the butt chewing i got for "lettin' him fly down the barrel" :nono: :rotf:

I don`t think we have any caliber restriction here in Michigan. but again cuz ya can don`t mean ya should

Back