• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 caliber swivel breech rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I received a 36 cal. swivel brech rifle. I was wondering about the history of such guns.Did they have them in Europe or was it an American invention?

Thank you in advance
Olie

Olie said:
I received a 36 cal. swivel brech rifle. I was wondering about the history of such guns.Did they have them in Europe or was it an American invention?

Thank you in advance
Olie

Swivel breeches were fairly common in the US.

Dan

TheDuke1b.jpg

I would like to post a picture but I don't know how. Also my printer is on the fritz so I can't use that. I will see what I can do about a picture.

What I wanted to know was the history of the swivel breech rifle. Did they have them in Europe and came to this country or where they just made in America?

On page 178-179 in the book JAEGER RIFLES by George Shumway, the author says, "...They were made in the Germanic lands and in France from the mid-1600s, so they most certainly were not some new invention from the late flintlock period."

Shown on those pages is a nice over/under, believed to have been made in the mid 1700's. It had been converted to Percussion.

#508 in Pistols of the World , Claude Blair, THE VIKING PRESS, NEW YORK shows a number of Foreign rotating barreled pistols from a c1540 matchlock thru wheellocks and flintlocks some of which have up to 5 barrels.

Seems that nothing is new under the sun!

P1000790.jpg
P1000766.jpg

P1010028.jpg

Don King Swivels he made a number of them over the years these are ones we have photos of.

P1000557.jpg

129281803783774277.jpg

P1000500.jpg

There are photos of various original swivels in any comprehensive book on Kentucky rifles.
The recent book "Moravian Gunmaking of the American Revolution" has color photos of the Antes Swivel Breech.
"Rifles of Colonial America" has a number.
"Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1850-1950"
"Kentucky Rifles a True American Heritage in Picture"
There are others as well.

Dan

That is beautiful work Dan. I saw a gun at Bushy Run saturday that strongly reminds me of yours. It was a flint swivel and had the face you carved in the stock, engraved on the patchbox. Lehigh
correct? Thanks for showing it.

My swivel uses elements from the Antes rifle.
Since making it better photos are available and I see things I could have do differently in the carving etc.
Its hard to say where it was made, but he was a Moravian so it could have been made in NE PA easily. The rifle could be early enough to have been to first use of the figure with the funny cap. Or whatever it is.

Dan

Latest posts

Back