• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 caliber rifle ballistics and uses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have never made anything smaller than .45 caliber. I am aware that the little 36 is rather cheap to shoot and is a squirrel to larger varmint caliber gun. I pose the question in your own experience.

What do you use the 36 for? Do you have any pet loads? Any game or group tales to tell?

-Terril

My .36 is a squirrel rifle. I am pretty sure it would work for yotes too. It likes 30 gr FFFg. with ticking and .350 buckshot.

mrfishnhunt said:
My .36 is a squirrel rifle. I am pretty sure it would work for yotes too. It likes 30 gr FFFg. with ticking and .350 buckshot.

Have you ever shot a coyote and if so with a .36?

I shoot quite a few each year, a .36 would not be my choice. Most coyotes move either at daylight or dark, not prime time for open sighted M/Ls of small calibers.

Nice for squirrels and rabbits and great on paper targets, paper is easy to kill and no trailing is needed.

Seems lately here there is a fascination for small calibers (along with small revolvers) and larger critters, seems more stunt like to me than practical.

Just my thoughts.

Good point on coyote movement. Around here they like to move in great numbers at night and thats when I like to stalk them. I use a 22 semi automatic rifle for that. I did once anchor a coyote with a .32 smith and wesson long. The wadcutter bullet went through one shoulder, turned sideways and flew out the other side. But these are cartridge guns.

15 grains 3f/.350/.018 here for shots on snowshoe hare out to around 35 yards. Flat shooting and just about takes their heads off, even out there. That's cheap shooting, and the accuracy will flat open your eyes.

Yes, I have shot lots of yotes. The rancher here have problems with them. You can get them to move all most anytime qith calls and decoys. I have shot a few qith the. 32&.36. It works when you camo out and get up close. I started out shooting them as a kid with a .22-250.

How did they respond to being shot with the patched balls? I am sure that 22-250 would dissolve the heart and lungs with all that speed.

Unless its a spine or head shot they will run. Not much of a blood trail, but its a coyote. There isnt much of a fur market here and they are a problem to livestock.

I shot this guy between 40 and 50 yards with 40gr of FFFg under a .350 ball. Hit him right behind the front leg. He ran about 15 or 20 yards before he expired.

OldRaccoonRifle.jpg

My 1/2 stock, percussion .36 with it's Golcher lock, and hex marks around the muzzle, and target lock was built to punch holes in paper.

Since I have acquired it that is all that I use it for.

I started hunting turkeys with my .36 (.360 ball for its H & H barrel and 40 grains 3f). Haven't gotten a shot yet, hopefully next spring!

Mine is used for squirrels and rabbits, but I must admit that I personally like the .32 or a smoothie loaded with shot better for those critters. Shot a coon in the head with it once too, other than some rolling around, he went nowhere.

In fact my next project is going to be to have my Pedersoli Frontier .36 rebored to as large as is safe...probably 45 but might be able to push it to a 50 smoothie and I'm going to convert it to Flint, completely rework the stock, add a patchbox, brass nosecap, etc.

You do your own work too huh? I would actually go with a 32 barrel but the thing is GM doesnt have them anymore.

I use my 36 or 32 or 40 for anything I want except large game. Like anything, good shot placement is the key. My load is 30gr. of 3F Swiss in the 36, but it shoots well with as little as 20gr. or as much as 40gr. Not to picky a gun at all. I just use about the same amount of powder for all the guns I have listed here.

Dave K said:
Not to picky a gun at all. I just use about the same amount of powder for all the guns I have listed here.

I've found the same thing with my 30 cal, 32 cal and 36 cal. They don't really care how much or how little powder you use, and you can use the same measure for all of them.

With as little as 10 or 15 grains of 3f they're all a whole lot more potent than a 22LR, and anything you can do with a 22LR you can do better with the ML. Just don't hit any eating meat with them, even with such a small charge. You'll be sorry! Pump the powder up, and things get real zingy to surprising ranges, and they still out-perform a 22LR on game pretty far out there.

I just wish I had the time to make one for myself. But I am always making them for other people.

Many years ago in washington state (before caliber minimums) the man that set me on the gunbuilders path hunted deer with an original .36 ca. long rifle & 25 gr powder. he shot lots a deer-mostly at 15-20 yd. This was BEFORE WWII. It can be done, but not by me, .45 min. & 80 gr 3f PRb ....Tom

mark3smle said:
I just wish I had the time to make one for myself. But I am always making them for other people.

If you can build rifles for other people, then you are the god in this hobby, my friend. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back