• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 Caliber deer rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KY Rebel,
I would keep it to 50ish yards, just due to how quickly the PRB slows down, instead of 100, but totally agree with the rest of your post. I like bigger calibers as much as the next guy, but have seen the small ones do some amazing things when placed correctly.

As an aside, mind if I ask if you have any idea of how many shots and of what kind of loads it took to "shoot out" your .50? Just asking cause my oldest one is a CVA .50 that I have had for close to 15yrs and I must not be shooting it enough cause it keeps getting better and keeps up with my Lymans now accuracy wise. Now that is using PRBs, but have always heard that other ammo types are less forgiving on barrel steel.

capt_turk said:
In Florida the minimum is .40.

A true statement Turk, a .40 caliber is the smallest muzzle loader, legal to use, in Florida, but a .25acp is a legal center fire round to hunt deer with in Florida. I lived in Florida for 26 years and I hunted with a .50. I moved to Tennessee 2 years ago, an while I don't own a .36, I would not hesitate to use one if it was within 20 to 25 yards and presented a standing broadside shot. I suspect that if it was facing you, at the same range, a RB between the eyes would drop it like it was struck by lightening. I am a meat hunter so I would not worry about ruining the rack. The limit on does, in my county, is three per day, so that should not present a problem. It would be kind of nice to be able to hunt deer or squirrels with the same gun. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :stir:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most game laws are written to prevent "idiots" from wounding game that will never be recovered.

I would rather see a 36 cal in the hands of shooter who has practiced with it all year - many hundreds of rounds - out hunting deer with it as opposed to one of these guys/gals that dust off their plastic stocked, non-side lock 50's or 54's and run a couple of plastic wrapped pistol bullet down range to "make sure she is sighed in" and then wandering into the woods.

Which has the "higher probability" of wounding/not recovering Bambi??

But if the minimum caliber laws were not in place in some jurisdictions, "Mr. Plastic Stock" would be out there with the 36 (or 32) that was borrowed from "some guy" - because after all, a 36 cal is "bigger" than the 308 he uses in the CF season - right?????

I hope to be hunting this season with a 38 cal and make no apologies to those who think it's inadequate - because I "KNOW" my limitations and am disciplined enough not to take anything but the "perfect shot" at a distance somewhat less than 50 yards.

When shooting smaller calibers, where allowed, most who shoot them are "totally aware" that there is no room for error and are not lulled into the "mostly false" sense of power that a larger caliber might impart.

An "iffy" shot with a 50 or 54, taken because "it's more than enough" is certainly "less ethical" than the guy shooting a 36 at bow range.

(I guess my opinion is strong in the other direction to some others).

If you don't figure you could make the shot and take down bambi IF you were shooting a 36 or a 40, then maybe you shouldn't pull the trigger with a 50...

I would not hesitate to fire a .36 at deer at under say 45 yds. I have killed about 250 WT and I don't remember ever needing a second shot. Just shoot straight.

I'm with nchawkeye. A lot of strong men dropped to .36 Navies. A .36 from a rifle will kill a deer, if the rifleman does his part. If he doesn't, a .60 won't do the job. JMHO.

I know folks are getting kinda heated, but the question is about .36 caliber, not a .350 patched round ball...although some have assumed this was implied...maybe it was...or perhaps the silly law that prompted this thread doesn't specify using a conical?

It's possible with any of the muzzleloaders that we use regardless of the caliber of the bullet to have a load that has a better probability of wounding a deer than killing a deer.

Some folks will tell me a .390 PRB from my .40 poor boy is not for deer, OK but what about my custom, conical, REAL style bullets for the same rifle, that are almost the same weight as a .490 round ball?

:hmm:

I would say that all other factors being equal a .350 patched round ball should not be considered for harvesting deer... now a 128 grain Maxi-ball for a .36... I don't know.

If you allow a .45 caliber single shot pistol to use a 125 grain .440 round ball launched with 40 grains of 3Fg on deer, how do you say a 128 grain .36 maxi-ball launched with 60 grains of 3Fg is a no no from a barrel length that is at least twice that of the pistol? Sure you can say both are wrong at 100 yards, but ALL loads from BP to modern have a range at which their use becomes a case of wounding more than harvesting.

:idunno:

LD

I'm not recommending .36 for deer, I'm just saying within limits it will kill a deer. If it was all I had, under certain circumstances, I would use it.

My own flinters are .54 and .58. I like a big ball. If I was going after bigger game, I might go to a conical bullet.

As for your .40, with PRB, a friend of mine used one for years deer hunting. It did the job.

AGREED.

ImVho, the .36 caliber PRB is inadequate (except under the most favorable of circumstances AND at VERY close range - maybe out to 25-30M) for WT or any other "big game".
(This includes our quite petite but very numerous TX whitetails, some of which are collie dog size.)

May I further point out that poachers have killed any number of deer with a .22SHORT?
(I can think of no hunter who would advocate a .22 rimfire as a suitable deer rifle.)

just my opinion, satx

Billnpatti said:
I think the weight of the evidence is against the .36 caliber rifle being a decent choice as a deer rifle. :2

Evidence what evidence? So far all I have heard is opinions, and opinions are like rectal orfices, everybody has one. Since my .32 caliber Traditions Crockett is not legal to hunt with in my state, I'm thinking of taking it to Texas to hunt whitetails this year. Keep yer powder dry........Robin :stir:

In my great state of tennessee this year they made legal to kill deer with a.36 rifle or pistol. They use the excuse that some people are very recoil sensitve. Bravo Siera! Wondering what others think of this folly. Original Post

Tatman Don't let a government agentsy choose your ethics for you ,we can see how that's worked so far .

When that big buck is out of range for a 36 he might be in range for a 50 or 54.But I guess its our choice ,just let common sence and ethics do there part. At the end of the day you don't have to tell any one how it went but you will always know if you did things right or not.

I think that's called integrity.Curt

Deputy Dog said:
Billnpatti said:
I think the weight of the evidence is against the .36 caliber rifle being a decent choice as a deer rifle. :2

Evidence what evidence? So far all I have heard is opinions, and opinions are like rectal orfices, everybody has one. Since my .32 caliber Traditions Crockett is not legal to hunt with in my state, I'm thinking of taking it to Texas to hunt whitetails this year. Keep yer powder dry........Robin :stir:

well placed shot = dead deer! i'll take mine and we can go together.

You know, guys, a lot of the stuff I used to deer hunt in (and will be again if I ever find time to go) is pretty thick.

Most places you can't see 25 yards. It's foliage.

I use a .50 and a bow. I would not feel too bad using a .36 and max charges for that caliber at the distances dictated by the woods.

You'll always have people pushing limits. I personally think the average person should not try 600 yards with a .30-06, but there's always those who will try it without proper long-range training.

Josh

The reason you could us a 36 is in the statement you made,,about hunting with a bow,,40 yards is max and then some,,so getting close enough to us a 36 should be no problem,,I hunt with a Hoyt ProVantage Hunter!!!!When your close enough to see them blink,,, your hunting not just shooting!!!!

Vomir le Chien said:
The reason you could us a 36 is in the statement you made,,about hunting with a bow,,40 yards is max and then some,,so getting close enough to us a 36 should be no problem,,I hunt with a Hoyt ProVantage Hunter!!!!When your close enough to see them blink,,, your hunting not just shooting!!!!

:applause: :bow:

Latest posts

Back