• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 Caliber deer rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets look at the 36 caliber ball. 65 grains on average. You can drive it as much as 2000 fps. At 100 yards it will be going only about 950. Down to 1500 or so at 50 yards. I would limit shots at 50 yards.

But make things worse, in the light breeze your ball could move over two feet at 100 yards. Granted its less pronounced at closer ranges. But also, where do you shoot it?

Through the shoulder? Too much heavy bone for this child to try to make a good hit on the deer and too long for her to bleed out.

The neck? Perhaps. I see a 36 caliber ball severing the spine but being stopped by the neckbone.

The head is the most obvious target for the small pill. The head? Still no. Too small a target. You might get a brain shot, but your ball might veer and take out its jaw. The deer escapes you and it starves to death. Not something I would sleep easy with that knowledge.

There are .36 caliber minie ball projectiles available in the 100-125 grain range that would give considerable comfort for taking bigger animals with the smallbore. They will take off at about 1500 fps over a good charge. A .357 revolver can do the same with the same bullets easily and people use that for deer all the time.

In conclusion for my rant, if I had to use a .36 on deer it would be a round ball to the neck up close or the 36 cal minie through the shoulder with a little more confidence.

I would have to be pretty hungry to try. For alot of people the baseline is 40 and even that is sketchy. Find the biggest caliber you can shoot well. The 40 is a great target round and will have a round ball energy advantage but little else. The 45 caliber is decidedly better even at a fair distance. 50 and 54 is what most people go with. The good thing with front stuffers is that you dont have to load them too hot.

Loyalist,
In my state, we have NO caliber restrictions if using a ML. Now I wasn't recommending a .32/.36 rifle for deer, just saying it is serviceable if that is all you have. I also wouldn't take shots at 100yds with one, especially since I never have trouble getting to 50yds from deer, with my closest deer kill so far being at 6 FEET. And even getting in as close as possible, I still use a .50 or .54 since I have them. Now not that it matters for this discussion, but we are also allowed to use ANY CF caliber, with the only restrictions being that the projectile can not be poisoned or explosive, and the weapon itself can not be full auto. Now just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's a good idea, as I'm sure you understand. I wouldn't go after deer or hogs with a .25 ACP, just like I wouldn't use my .32 or .38 MLs since I have .50s and .54s that are much better suited to the task.

A .36 would work if you know what you are doing.

Bigger is better.

William Alexander

So a .36 as a deer gun is kind of like a .410 shotgun for pheasants. It can do the job, but you better be a damn good shot.

No ethical hunter would even consider taking a .36 caliber rifle to hunt deer. :shake: A .36 caliber rifle is a squirrel rifle. If anyone's intention is to wound a deer and cause it to die a slow and painful death, perhaps the .36 is for them. Any law allowing a .36 caliber rifle to be used for deer hunting is a :bull: law that was enacted by idiots. :td: Not that I have a strong opinion about this, mind you. :cursing:

I'm sorry, Bill, but I have to disagree. Extend that logic to anyone else who doesn't agree with someone else's choice of hunting weapon, and we start getting into a sticky situation real quick. A modern bolt gun is more capable than a bow, so lets ban bowhunting. Same goes for muzzleloaders, and come to think of it, they make ARs now in deer-rifle type calibers so lets ban the bolt guns while we're at it and require everyone to hunt with an AR-10 chambered in .308. Don't get me wrong, I think there ought to be a line somewhere, but have a hard time saying where that is. I don't think I should dictate what YOU hunt with, know what I mean? How many times have we read on this forum how some people have doubts about the .45 PRB being enough gun for deer when we have seen many photos proving it is. There was a thread a while back about a member here who took a deer, doe if I remember right, with a .32 PRB, and it was a clean kill. It's up to the hunter and the hunters skill, and not the weapon used that makes the hunt ethical or not.

It allows the rich to give their buddies all the special permits to hunt the hogs on their vast leases. They make hunting a rich mans sport more every year! If you like wild game in the future you will have to pay a huge amount for a lease. I also see no difference between baiting and planting special plots just for deer.

Would you then say that my .17 Mach II is a dandy deer rifle? Why do you suppose Texas Parks and Wildlife as well as most other states set a minimum caliber for a muzzleloader that is used for hunting deer? So far as I know, none of those states that have a minimum caliber include the .36 among them. That's not to say that a .36 caliber rifle is incapable of killing a deer, just that it is not a good choice for the vast majority of hunters. I am sure that there is a small, extremely small, number of hunters who could successfully take a deer with a bayonet affixed to an M-1 rifle but I would not tout it as an acceptable deer hunting weapon. I think the weight of the evidence is against the .36 caliber rifle being a decent choice as a deer rifle. :2

Well said,I agree,around my area are some pretty good deer too but all that property is leased out and I can't pay the price, one club with a lease wanted me to pay $900.00 per yr ,I wont do that so I just hunt the TVA land but a lot of the places were torn up pretty bad a few yr ago with the tornados ,lost a lot of White Oaks,but I have managed to get a Spike buck so far this yr.You are really in a good area I think.

Bill,
I do not say that your .17 is a deer rifle, but do think that some hunters would be capable of taking deer with it, just not for everyone. Having said that, since we are both in Texas and you mentioned Texas regs, could you please show me where Texas places a minimum caliber on a muzzleloading rifle? If it does, then this is a new reg for this year, and I haven't seen it yet. Now Texas does forbid the use of ANY rimfire weapon for deer, you are absolutely correct there. Also, I did not say I recommend a .36 for the average hunter, but do not see a problem with an experienced hunter using it since the experienced hunter will know what the limitations are and hunt within them. So how bout a link or something to the reg that lists a minimum ML caliber in Texas?

This is all I can find:

"Muzzleloader

A muzzleloader is any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle. Note: A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only
."

No where does the above mention a caliber, projectile weight, powder charge, etc, etc, that in any way limits a ML other than that it has to load from the front.

The entire section to include the rimfire ammo, since it got dragged into this conversation is as follows:

"Firearms

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:
Ӣwhite-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
Ӣshotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
Ӣpellet guns and other air guns are not legal.
Ӣfully automatic firearms are not legal.
Ӣa shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
ӢSilencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.

Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

Magazine Capacity

There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).

Muzzleloader

Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.

A muzzleloader is any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle. Note: A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader.
"

You are absolutely right. Texas is not one of the states that specify a minimum caliber for muzzleloaders. :redface: I think this must have changed because several years ago before we moved to Indiana, I am pretty sure Texas specified a minimum caliber for muzzleloaders. I could be wrong, though. I'm old and crazy. Indiana is one of the states with a minimum caliber for muzzleloaders. The law states "Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger," I know there are several other states with minimum calibers for muzzleloaders and most have a .45 caliber or larger. Some specify .50 or larger. Be that as it may, I still don't think that even if the law allows it, the average hunter should be hunting deer with a .36 caliber rifle. I just think that a caliber that small in the hands of the average hunter will just result in too may injured animals. The resultant suffering and waste just goes against my grain. I'm still of the opinion that even if it is legal, it isn't ethical for the average hunter to use a muzzleloading rifle of a caliber that small. The hunter has the obligation to ensure that the game that he is hunting is taken in a humane manner that minimizes any suffering. To me, that means that if you cannot guarantee that you can hit what you are aiming at or stalk up close enough for the weapon that you are using such as archery or muzzleloading rifle, you need to stay home until you develop the necessary skills and use a weapon that makes up for any minor deficiencies in your skills. So, if you are an excellent shot with your .36 cal. rifle, have the stalking skills of an archery hunter and the discipline to pass up any uncertain shots or shots of more than 50 yards, I might be persuaded that in that specific instance it might be okay for that specific hunter to hunt deer in Texas with a .36 caliber rifle. But I'd still rather see him take a rifle of .45 caliber or larger. But, that's just me.

Billnpatti,

You are a person of opinions/beliefs which I support. The .36 is not a deer rifle and will not be used on my ranch for deer.

A .36 is fine for squirrels.

To follow up on states that set minimum muzzleloading calibers for deer, on another thread, a poster, excess650, quotes PA law "Pa allows .44cal and larger for "big game" which includes deer, bear, elk, and turkey."

Tennessee does indeed have a minimum set at .36. Yes I know that with a maxiball it has the same energy as a 357 mag. The difference being that too many people buy a muzzle loader the day before season and go hunting the next day. I agree with you 100 percent. Ive been doing this for over 30 years and I would not go deer hunting with a .36.

Bill,
Just for the sake of easing your mind, I am using my .54 for deer this year, as I did last year, and intend to next year also. Now I have been thinking of taking my .38 and my .32 after hogs when deer season closes, having taken them with .22 LRs (sorry for the modern caliber), and think it should work under good conditions. I also expect to have to pass on many shots that I could take if using my .50 or .54, and will post results if I get anything. I honestly had mixed feelings when I asked you to post info regarding a caliber limitation in Texas. On one hand, I hate being told what I can or can not use by politicians who usually don't have any experience with our tools, but on the other, if there was a new reg, I figured I needed to know to keep me out of hot water with the GW, and because I will follow game regs weather I agree with them or not. And, just between us, I was almost hoping you were going to give me an excuse for a new gun. It must be hard keeping several states laws straight, so I admire those of you who manage to, and don't blame you in the least for staying on the safe side by following the stricter regs. But above all, we all must stick with our own ethics and beliefs because we are the ones who have to live with the results of our actions in the end. Thank you.

Hello fellow BP shooters I'm new to the forums. I've read with great interest the comments on .36 cal not being good enough to kill deer. I've lost deer after shooting them with a 308 broadside through the shoulder. Bigger doesn't mean its going to work better. A 36 cal with 90 grains of BP will blow right through a deer's shoulder, not to mention its rib cage and lungs. Its about shot placement for vitals. I've shot plenty of deer with my old 50cal, I must says it was like hitting them with a 105 howitzer. I finally shot the barrel out and went up to a 54 plains rifle. But I look forward the most to taking deer with a 36 cal. If you cant hit a deer in the lungs at 100yds and under , in my opinion, you shouldn't be hunting. Vitals vitals vitals. Just my opinion!

Thats exactly the point! Too light of a bullet in the 308 and you get no penetration. 36 is too light for reliable penetration. I knew a guy that used a 30/06 but with the accellerater 55 grain bullets, hit em in the ribs lose alot of meet. Hit em in the shoulder, lose the deer.

Back