• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 gauge/50 smooth bore loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot size choice is determined by what game you are shooting. Doves a #8 or 7 1/2 is fine. Turkeys #6 or #4. Unwanted visitors in your home #2 buck works good.
Charges are also your choice. I'm not a fan of heavy charges. Try 50 to 70 gr. real bp.

Thank you Sir, the #9 for clays. The #6 to #8 shot for dove this fall if I can get a load worked up and can shoot it reasonably well. Was just interested in the loads that others were using. Was going to start with 5/8 oz shot and 40/45 grain ff or fff with different size shot and work up?

I can't begin to get specific because I haven't worked with a 50 smoothy. But I'm all ears!

I'm a fan of smallbore shotguns, but my smallest to date is a honking 20 gauge (62 cal). I regularly use loads as light as 5/8 oz of shot, in the realm of what you'll be shooting. Deadly when you respect the range limits and use good loads.

Brits has given you an excellent insight from his work with a 45 cal. I follow much the same in my 20, whether light loads or heavy.

Thank y'all for the replies. The load info on the 45 helps. I'm more interested in shot than round ball. Would like to try it on dove if I can work a good load and can hit.

According to my calculations, a 32 gauge is 0.526" diameter. A 37 gauge is 0.501" in diameter.

So much for the technicalities, the basic load information is good for either application.

I took this bird on a wind, a quick snap shot with a 45 Kentucky type so a 50 should be as good!
5/8oz, thin card, two olive oil wet leathers and a card for a wad.

B.

Sir, got wad punches from Ohio Ramrod that make better fitting cards and wads. Been playing with your card and leather wad combination using #9 shot on chipmunks around home. The better fitting cards and wads helped with better patterns. Fun to play with thanks again.

Did you wet the leather with a natural oil?

Try the leather as an overshot too as sky chief found with heavy overshot wads it improved his patterns!
I tried in the .45 and it certainly was no worse!

Put the leather in olive oil and let it get in the leather. Cut the wads after letting the leather hang a day or so. Did a over powder card, then leather, then shot and another card. Also did powder card shot and then leather. Either way pattern was better than with fiber or felt wads. Tried from 1/2 oz to 1 oz of shot. 5/8 to 3/4 shot best with a little less fff powder by volume than shot. Also tried 7 1/2, 8, 9 and #12 shot.# 8 or 9 shot will do just about everything I want with the small bore. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back