• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal flnt long rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Like find a small caliber long rifle and yes i have read posts on this here
I was thinking 32 cal but have found any for sale unsure why 36and 40s i found
Is this caliber not common in custom gun world?
So i guess i asking for sources for one
Thanks in advance

Difficut to know what you are asking from that post. But, the one question: Yes, .32s are not real popular. Tiny calibers can get crudded quickly, ram rods are hard to find and the tiny ball is subject to wind deflection for target shooting. Some like them for squirrel hunting. But, like all things, it is a matter of personal choice. You will probably need a custom build or find one used for sale.

They're fairly common. Pedersoli makes one that you can find pretty regularly on GB for about $350.

If you want a 25 or a 30 that's when it gets tougher.

Dixie stocks pedersoli's Pennsylvania longrifle in .32 caliber. Decent looking gun too, for 800 bucks. 41.5 inch barrel.

From builders I've talked to lately, 32 cal barrels have slipped into the realm of special order only. I want my next rifle built with a Rayl .25 caliber barrel in 48" swamped octagon to round. He lists up to 44", but I swear I've seen a 48" Rayl gun before. Maybe a mike brooks build?

I think I understand what you're asking and, yes, the .32 is a fine small game caliber. Factory rifles such as the Traditions "Crockett" and the Pedersoli offering are good, serviceable rifles. I'm currently having a flint SMR Tn poorboy built by Matt Avance at TVM. The small bores do not foul any worse than large bore rifles and are cheap to shoot. I've been using a .36 flint SMR and can vouch for their splendid accuracy.

I have a flintlock TVM Southern Mountain Rifle and a Dixie Tennessee Squirrel Rifle in .32 caliber and I get very little fouling using TOW's Mink Oil and a tight patch. And both are really accurate out to 50 yards. .32 caliber flintlocks are very common for squirrel and other small game hunters. As far as the thin ramrods that go with the small calibers

If you are going to use a wooden ramrod ( use hickory if you can), you really ought to properly season it to prevent it from breaking in your hand. Get a galvanized iron pipe about an inch inside diameter (threaded on each end) long enough to put your ramrod in it and a cap for each end. Fill the pipe with kerosene, cap it, and let the ramrod soak for a few months.

When you take it out, let it dry and you will find it to be quite flexible, and almost unbreakable. This is much better than having a dry wooden ramrod break and stick through your hand. :thumbsup:

your kerosene tip is one ya don't hear people talking about lately....it is actually what the ole timers did.. it worked then and still works now.
I have a Pedersoli Scout .32 fullstock ( currently sold as a special order gun)
and a .32 Mowrey half stock.
I love the small caliber...never had any problems with fouling. I shoot 20 or 25 balls then damp swab....

i hunted woodchucks with my 32 the last 2 months, and i will tell you, i have never had so much fun! shot them any where between 50 feet and 90 yards, with a lot of shots in the 50 to 70 yard range. ended up with 38. fouling is not a problem after you find what that gun likes. plenty of power out to 100 yards, if you can hit them that far!

Why does Kerosene make Hickory loading rods stronger?
I've heard some folks say the procedure is useless and other swear by it.
Time for the Bevel Brothers to do some testing! Mike D.

There was one on arms list bout a week ago wasn't a flint gun but its a start if ya just wanna try one.also I have 2 32s and I love em shoot good enough for anything id hunt with it so squirrel to coyote maybe a small hog.

M.D. said:
What's a good rate of twist for a .32 cal ball shooter?
Believe the current crop are mostly 1-48" to 1-54". The TC Cherokee & Seneca used a faster 1-30" twist to allow both the use of light charges and the .32/.36 Maxis made for them to bring these small bores up to larger predator level.

M.D. said:
Why does Kerosene make Hickory loading rods stronger?
I've heard some folks say the procedure is useless and other swear by it.
Time for the Bevel Brothers to do some testing! Mike D.

Some folks do say it's useless and some swear by it. But I still have some ramrods / wiping sticks from the late 70's to early 80's that I've soaked in kerosene that I still use. It would make a good test to see if it does make the wood stronger or flexable, but also the test should tell if kerosene preserves the wood so it doesn't weaken through age.

Kerosene wasn't invented until 1853 ( I think ), it would be interesting to find out if in the 18th century if they used some other kind of oil ( if they used anything at all ) to strengthen or preserve the wood.

32cal GM barreled capper i built, cherry stock from homeplace, i think the barrel is 42"?....tip curtis supplied it 2-3yrs back.....he may have more, and/or a built flinter~
rightside2_zps838939fa.jpg

largerightside_zps3528bad4.jpg

P3271849_zps1124a6a4.jpg

It's a very nice rifle, in fact. And to no one in particular, All my wood rods (except for three or so that came with the guns) have been soaked in kerosine and aired out so they do not smell. Are they tougher now than before? Don't know and won't subject any of them to a "bend" test to see what happens. I've had three rods break over the years (the ones that came with the guns) but never a "soaked" one, so far. Do have a friend who had a treated one break but it had a run-out grain.

Thank sorry for the hard to read post
I like small caliber as everthing i have currently 62 cal or bigger and all smoothies i just like a nice small cal gun
Was thinking a 36 cal but i have lots 32 cal lead buckshot
Trying keep things simple thats all
So guess i need ask about sources like tvm or ?

I have a 32 caliber squirrel rifle that I built in the 80s. It originally a cap lock but several years ago I converted it to flint ignition. Anyway, I still enjoy taking it out and shooting limb-rats with it. I have not had any problems with fowling. Tenn Valley Muzzleloaders has a nice 32 caliber that you can buy as a finished rifle, or as a kit.

Latest posts

Back