• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.22 cal home made flinter, mostly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaulTBarton said:
...used after every shot as the goo builds up quite fast.

Have you messed with various lubes yet? In my 30 cal (as well as my 32 and 36 cals), I found using just the right lube had a dramatic influence on fouling and the need for cleaning.

I also found that moreso than even for bigger bores, having a "loose" cleaning patch that went down easy, then bound a little when retrieved greatly reduced fouling accumulation. The explanation that seems to fit is the loose patch slips past the fouling going down, then drags it back up out of the bore when you retrieve the rod.

In that way you're not simply pushing fouling down the bore into the breech with each pass of the rod. That made a HUGE difference with my 30 cal. We can get 20-30 shots in a couple of hours on snowshoe hare hunts in good years, and pushing fouling down the bore creates endless headaches with more and worse fouling after each shot simply because I was never really getting rid of the fouling and it accumulated from shot to shot.

By going to the loose cleaning patch I went from cleaning after every shot and real problems by the end of a hunt, to cleaning every 5 or 6 shots, and no headaches no matter how much shooting I did.

BrownBear said:
PaulTBarton said:
...used after every shot as the goo builds up quite fast.

Have you messed with various lubes yet?

Yes, the 1000 stuff from Sportsmans Warehouse. Try and fit some at the rebated area before barreling. Seems to help some.

BartSr

Oops, actually the lube is 2000 from S.W.
OK, today I tried bare (no lube), lube, 1/4 inch leather wad under the bullet, lubed or water. All these seem to work fine. Target shows still a bit high, about 1-2 inches at 25 yds. Sometimes it hits vertically correct, in the wind it hits downwind about 1-2 inches. It can't be me (horrors) so it must be the barrel. :doh:
I was able to get 16 shots off before it gets too hot at the range. Had a couple of no-sparks so the flint gets adjusted just touching the frizzen at half-cock. This adjustment seems to keep it sparking.

BartSr

Range Report as of today.
25 yards, 7.5gr of Goex FFFg.

Three left side shots were 18.1gr JSB Test Pellets, a gift from an air-gunner.
Three on the right side were 14.3gr pellets.

I think I found a winner!

The NAA BP bullets grouped around 4 to 6 inches, bummer.

sm22rr_d.jpg

BartSr

Back