• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.22 cal home made flinter, mostly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulTBarton

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have here a flinter in .22 cal. It is a work in progress.
sm22_t.jpg

Cherry stock, this particular piece is way too soft for this application. Re-purposed 10-22 barrel, mostly hand made lock. Other parts from parts bin and DOA rifles, etc.

BartSr

Back in the day we had a guy in our club who took a .22 barrel, filed down flats on the barrel and made it into an octagon barrel and stocked it. He used .22cal pellets and about 5 grains of 3f. It was kind of cool.

He also took a cedar fence post and made a rifle out of it, yes, it was as ugly as a fence post. :grin:

What would a .22 caliber patched ball weigh, 15-20 grains?
I suppose they are actually shooting pulled or mold cast .22 caliber, 40 grain bullets,no?

OK, lotsa questions.
Currently the lock is questionable and has been problamatic on both outings. It should be OK now.

But when it goes off, more like a poof and not bang, it hits the target.

Right now I am using 10gr of Goex FFFg main and a smidge for the prime, and 14.3gr pointy air gun pellets. I did purchase 100 of the NAA black powder bullets but I must make a swager out of a short piece of another 10-22 barrel, just to be able to get those bullets down the barrel. So, I'm looking for a junker 10-22 barrel.

I do need to clean after each shot as there aint much barrel area and it soots up quickly. I use a .22 cal brass brush on a .22 cal rod, works great.

The fun part was the touch hole liner. It's a 1/4x20 stainless set-screw drilled with 1/16 inch drill then installed backwards. This makes the setscrew act like a internal coned liner.

The rifle is only 33.5 inches long and is a light weight rifle.

Other side:
sm22_q.jpg

BartSr

Rifleman,
I tried to "push" a range found .22 bullet down the barrel, all it did was to mush up. I stopped when I could still pull it out. SO I need to make that swager out of a junker .22 barrel.

BartSr idezilla.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked for some small shotgun pellets, it looks like T-size should work (0.0200 inches). BUt where to find such puppies?

BartSr

OK, went to the range today. Used those .22 cal NAA bullets. 10gr of Goex FFFg, lube the bullet with something, pound down a bullet, then push it down to the powder easily. Got 4 shots off then "accidentaly" put in two complete loads. Oops. Later at home pulled the plug and drove them both out. All is good. For me, stop talking to folks when loading, etc. too bad I left the target there, oh well.

BartSr

Oh, and it shoots left about 4 inches and high about 8 inches at 25 yards.

The down side of BPI buckshot is that it's hardened a little. By the same token, the up side is that they're hardened a little. I use their .290 buck in my 30 cal flinter, and near as I can tell the little bit of hardening resists deformation on loading. That's important I think, because my own rifle likes a tight combo.

One offhand thought: My 30 really whistles them downrange with 10 grains of 3f. I'm getting ready to drop it some more, just to save eating meat at the terminal end.

One idle thought to follow the offhand thought: Have you looked into the equivalent "standard" load of original black powder 22 rounds? Might give you some interesting comparisons for your own loads.

The "wonderful world of the .22 " by John Lachuk "and the editors of guns and ammo magazine", gives these powder loads for the original .22's on page 170.

Short, BP = 4 grains, bullet = 29 grains
Long, BP = 5 grains. bullet = 29 grains
Long Rifle, BP = 5 grains, bullet = 40 grains
Extra Long, BP = 6 grains, bullet = 40 grains

Now, I know we don't speak of these suppository things around here but I thought the information might be useful to those who might make a .22 cal muzzleloader and wonder about the original loads.

Ramrod:
steel rod 0.156 or 5/32 inch diameter inside of some hobby brass 0.187 or 3/16 inch, soldered, with a .22 cal jag permanently soldered into this mess so that the jag pushes back against the steel rod.

Cleaning Rod:
Stainless rod with a .22 cal brass brush, something that fits down the bore. This is used after every shot as the goo builds up quite fast.

BartSr

Back