• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have a spring season down here: [from LINK]

View attachment 315698

When do the rattlers and copperheads come out up there? Walking around in the timber in warm weather down here looking up and not paying attention to where you're stepping can get you into trouble.
I deal with that same situation down here....
I haven't seen coppheads here, Eastern Diamondbacks, Cottonmouths, Pygmy Rattlers, and Coral snakes. I do wear knee high snakeboots for some protection, but a big Diamond Back could still get me. They can strike their prey from 2/3s of body length away.
A 6 footer can get you from 4 feet away. I'm still going hunting through.

I haven't seen coppheads here, Eastern Diamondbacks, Cottonmouths, Pygmy Rattlers, and Coral snakes. I do wear knee high snakeboots for some protection, but a big Diamond Back could still get me. They can strike their prey from 2/3s of body length away.

I used to live in Seminole County FL; understand completely.

Last edited:
I'm no fan of snakes either Fred, as my handle implies. But I don't let them stop me from going either. I do have a healthy respect for them. If I came across one eating a squirrel, I think I'd be like "he's busy, not going to bother me". šŸ¤£

I understand caliber restrictions on large game, being no smaller then, but not no larger than for small game I don't. What are these officials thinking?
It's safety. Larger caliber = more mass = more energy= more distance...

Up to a few years ago ya could hunting turkey with any firearm on public lands, now no shot bigger than #2s. If ya saw some of these cats that hunt public lands..... I can understand. Private lands any thing goes.

We don't have a spring season down here: [from LINK]

View attachment 315698

When do the rattlers and copperheads come out up there? Walking around in the timber in warm weather down here looking up and not paying attention to where you're stepping can get you into trouble.
Copperheads are already out. A friend killed one last week while he was running a weedeater at one of my happy hunting grounds.

Id like to collect some data on this game.

For the traditional ML squirrel hunters out there, what is your preferred method of hunting.

Spot and stalk?

Sit and hunt?

Still hunt?

Hunt with squirrel dogs?

Just walk through the woods?

Also, what is your preferred type of traditional ML for squirrel hunting?
Well,,,,, kind of a combination of some of those. My distance vision isn't too great, but my peripheral vision is good and I pick up even small movement easily. I tend to sit places with white oaks or hickory, or other places I've seen squirrel activity on the past. If not siting still its a combination of modified still hunting, and hear and stalk rather than spot and stalk. I move slowly until I see or hear squirrel activity, even if it is the squirrel barking at me. Then I stalk the sound. When real close, or if I've spotted my game, I stop and stay still until a shot is presented.

Well,,,,, kind of a combination of some of those. My distance vision isn't too great, but my peripheral vision is good and I pick up even small movement easily. I tend to sit places with white oaks or hickory, or other places I've seen squirrel activity on the past. If not siting still its a combination of modified still hunting, and hear and stalk rather than spot and stalk. I move slowly until I see or hear squirrel activity, even if it is the squirrel barking at me. Then I stalk the sound. When real close, or if I've spotted my game, I stop and stay still until a shot is presented.
Good method!

It sounds as if you and I have somewhat similar vision. Distant vision not the greatest but I do pick up on most any movement easily. In all honesty, I believe it is a learned process. After I got back into heavily hunting squirrels I noticed this had increased after a while. I did not pick up on slight movement in the woods/mountains while big game hunting near as much as I do now that I have seriously taken up squirrel hunting again. Then again, I never was so focused on movement up in the trees at the same time either.

Fortunately, Iā€™ve always had good peripheral vision but I have noticed this more lately. Itā€™s almost as if Iā€™m looking in two different directions at the same time, albeit neither of it is as clear and crisp as it should be.

This is a bit off topic but it is much the same, in terms of a learning process. I flew jumpers off and on for over 20 years. Flown many new jumpers. At first I couldnā€™t understand how a jump master could see everything the student did as he/she exited the airplane. It happens real fast. After a couple of years when I felt more comfortable watching students exit while doing my jump pilot thing at the same time, I slowly began to acquire an eye for it. After 3 years or so I too, could pick up on most everything the students did in that short 3 seconds or so. From their overall body position, to the position of their arms, legs, head position, movements of the hands and feet, often even their facial expressions.

Sounds strange I know, but itā€™s true. It was a learned process that took time.

Not to say I was, or am great at any of it. Just something else very unique that was learned in life. It all begins with desire and the overall results are often determined on how much one cares to put into something.

Last edited:
ETipp, I think that is true with many things as we become more familiar or adept with it. Things become second nature so to speak.
Yes sir. Thatā€™s one way to put it for sure. Itā€™s up to us as to how much we apply ourselves to things. Repetitive things are more easily learned, however.

Peripheral vision and ability to pick up on short, quick movements is not as repetitive. Things can be different every time. Considering this, I find it very interesting that eyesight can learn and manifest itself within us to the point that the mind can acknowledge it and process everything rather quickly.

All of it takes time and desire.

Either way, with the overall decline in my old eyes, Iā€™ll gladly accept all the help I can get. Lord knows I can use it.

Last edited:
Back