• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom would parboil in a pressure cooker to tenderize then bread and fry. Not a ton of meat but so good! You need a limit to make a meal. Side note, I lived with a Minnesota girl in college and brought some home for dinner. We didn’t get married for some reason, I can’t remember why.
I can understand that one. My kids used to eat squirrels when they were young and said they liked them. Now my 40 year old daughter says she has nightmares every time she sees a picture of killed squirrels.

It works pretty good Ed. I just hang my clothes up outside and spray them down and let them air dry. I blouse my pants and keep my cuffs tight.
My only concerns about permethrin are first off, for warm weather squirrel hunting here, I have to wash my cammo often. So it won’t last near as long.

Secondly, it’s the same camo I use for bow hunting. People say deer cannot smell it but I have serious doubts about that. For this old boy, bow hunting is very close up.

Third, I can’t see how it will stop ticks from getting on my skin or in my hair. I’ve pulled some dug in ticks off from my hairline on the back of my head.

However, I might still try it with some other older cammo. I don’t like the idea of spraying Deet on my skin that’s for sure.

Last edited:
My only concerns about permethrin are first off, for warm weather squirrel hunting here, I have to wash my cammo often. So it won’t last near as long.

Secondly, it’s the same camo I use for bow hunting. People say deer cannot smell it but I have serious doubts about that. For this old boy, bow hunting is very close up.

Third, I can’t see how it will stop ticks from getting on my skin or in my hair. I’ve pulled some dug in ticks off from my hairline on the back of my head.

However, I might still try it with some other older cammo. I don’t like the idea of spraying Deet on my skin that’s for sure.
The stuff I get from the horse section in tractor supply, there are 2 kinds, an oil based one, and a water based one. I use the water based, mixed in a spray bottle from Wally's. If you wear a hat I'd spray that too. Let em dry in the sun for a bit. Works pretty good. Just repeat after washing. I don't really notice any strong odor, but then my sniffer is not that good. I'll take a picture of the bottle when I get a new one. I'll be spraying down my turkey hunting duds pretty soon.

The stuff I get from the horse section in tractor supply, there are 2 kinds, an oil based one, and a water based one. I use the water based, mixed in a spray bottle from Wally's. If you wear a hat I'd spray that too. Let em dry in the sun for a bit. Works pretty good. Just repeat after washing. I don't really notice any strong odor, but then my sniffer is not that good. I'll take a picture of the bottle when I get a new one. I'll be spraying down my turkey hunting duds pretty soon.
Thank you, Tom. Much appreciated. After my encounter wRMDTF that had screwed over me for life, I’m always open to suggestions. Much appreciated my friend

Thank you, Tom. Much appreciated. After my encounter wRMDTF that had screwed over me for life, I’m always open to suggestions. Much appreciated my friend
You bet buddy. I gave bad info on the ratio of the mix. I went to look at my spray bottle and I have it at 2 oz. In 20 oz. of distilled water. My apologies for saying 50/50. I probably got it confused with some other concoction in my head. That's why I write it on the bottle with a sharpie I guess 🤣

You bet buddy. I gave bad info on the ratio of the mix. I went to look at my spray bottle and I have it at 2 oz. In 20 oz. of distilled water. My apologies for saying 50/50. I probably got it confused with some other concoction in my head. That's why I write it on the bottle with a sharpie I guess 🤣
The bottle of permetherin has a mixing chamber on it kind of like Stabill for motors.

I thank you my friend. Much appreciated.

BTW, real men drinks their corn squeezings straight.

Ha , take that!. 🤣
I'll have you know that I partake of my favorite Kentucky Bourbons neet. On the occasions when I'm drinking in mixed company, I may have an ice cube or 2 to keep me from drinking too fast. Never been guilty of ruining good whiskey 😉

Get ya a head net, and duct tape your pant cuffs Fred. Be just like when we were kids hunting them river bottoms in Illinois in August before we had to go back to school. Air so humid you could see it.
Tom, when I worked on the grain elevators, we use to tape up our pants just above the ankles and and shirt sleeves just above the wrists. The rats and mice would run all over when we would get in the tunnels under the grain binds and work on the augers. They were everywhere. After seeing all the mice, rats, and pigeons. I never looked at a box of Corn Flakes the same...

Yes August was brutal in Illinois, hot and humid. Started detasseling corn at about 12 years old. It may not of been August but that was some long,hot, humid days..

I'll have you know that I partake of my favorite Kentucky Bourbons neet. On the occasions when I'm drinking in mixed company, I may have an ice cube or 2 to keep me from drinking too fast. Never been guilty of ruining good whiskey 😉
I have to be careful with those ice cubes. I could swear having too many ice cubes resulted in me wake up in the morning with a hangover.

Id like to collect some data on this game.

For the traditional ML squirrel hunters out there, what is your preferred method of hunting.

Spot and stalk?

Sit and hunt?

Still hunt?

Hunt with squirrel dogs?

Just walk through the woods?

Also, what is your preferred type of traditional ML for squirrel hunting?
With my 350 King Ranch ;)

Hey Jim. How many times do you wash your cammo after treating them with permethrin and having to retreat them.
Ed, I spray my clothes before turkey season and don’t wash them during the season. When I used to bow hunt, I didn’t treat my clothes with permethrin and was constantly washing them.

Never had problems with ticks archery hunting. Spring gobbler is another story.

I’m typing this in my blind in Missouri. My buddy warned me about the ticks here. Illinois is bad too. Ha, so is PA!!

Myself and two friends were turkey hunting a deer lease in Illinois one spring. We all had treated our clothes. Mid week three other folks came out to mess with tree stands. Yeah I know. They had to do it while we were hunting. Anyhow they didn’t treat there clothes. They were crawling with ticks whereas the three of us who had, never saw a tick.

That made me a believer. Won’t go in the spring woods without treated clothes. I also wear knee boots with my pants tucked inside.

Okay guys, for those that do not know about this. I have a new book out about squirrel hunting with a traditional muzzleloader. It is self-written and self-published. I wrote this book primarily for friends, family and muzzleloader enthusiasts, especially members of this forum. There's 93 pages of information and many color pictures. This is not a money-making adventure. I'll be lucky if I can break even. I am selling this book for $22.00 per copy plus $5.00 shipping. If it cost more to ship, then I'll cover it.

I have a limited number of copies that came in on this first order. If you are interested in one, feel free to get in contact with me via PM.
I got my book a few days ago. Well packaged, the ziploc is a great idea, nicely put together. Thank you.
I am taking my time reading it and enjoying it very much.

I have to be careful with those ice cubes. I could swear having too many ice cubes resulted in me wake up in the morning with a hangover.
My trick for that is I use just 1 big cube. Pour in enough amber liquid to make it float, sip and enjoy.

Flash back to a couple deer seasons ago, me and one of my brothers were at camp (my other 2 weren't going to make it until the weekend), sitting there one evening he says "damn Tom, we've drank 4 bottles of whiskey this week". My response was, "glad I brought 6 with me". It's always good food, good whiskey, and good times at deer camp. We even manage to load up the freezers most years.

My trick for that is I use just 1 big cube. Pour in enough amber liquid to make it float, sip and enjoy.

Flash back to a couple deer seasons ago, me and one of my brothers were at camp (my other 2 weren't going to make it until the weekend), sitting there one evening he says "damn Tom, we've drank 4 bottles of whiskey this week". My response was, "glad I brought 6 with me". It's always good food, good whiskey, and good times at deer camp. We even manage to load up the freezers most years.
That's awesome, Tom. Good trick!

Indeed, that's about as good as it gets right there. You and I would get along real well at a hunting camp.

Back