• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yellowhammer.
As I've stated before, I reached out to ETipp about the Crockett Rifle, I'm glad I did. He sold me on it.
Snakebit is correct about not regretting the Crockett Rifle. It's very accurate I've had no issues with mine.
I will confess, thanks to a good amount of overtime, horse trading, and my wife squirreling up some money I was able to ordered a Kibler SMR in .32 caliber, walnut stock. It will be coming soon.
The squirrels I was able to get a shot were lucking because "I" missed, it was because of the Rifle. My set trigger is very sensitive. You'll see in the picture.
This was the first time shooting it.
I'll continue to use the Crockett regardless of any other gun I may own.

Take Care Stay Safe

Attachments

• 20240315_200231.jpg
    20240315_200231.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Yellowhammer.
As I've stated before, I reached out to ETipp about the Crockett Rifle, I'm glad I did. He sold me on it.
Snakebit is correct about not regretting the Crockett Rifle. It's very accurate I've had no issues with mine.
I will confess, thanks to a good amount of overtime, horse trading, and my wife squirreling up some money I was able to ordered a Kibler SMR in .32 caliber, walnut stock. It will be coming soon.
The squirrels I was able to get a shot were lucking because "I" missed, it was because of the Rifle. My set trigger is very sensitive. You'll see in the picture.
This was the first time shooting it.
I'll continue to use the Crockett regardless of any other gun I may own.

Take Care Stay Safe
GOOD, shooting,those crockett shoot good i love my crockett.

My first squirrel muzzleloader was a T/C Cherokee.32. Hunted two years with it and had lots of fun with it. But I wanted a flintlock. So I got the kibler smr .36. Hunted my third year with that. Read so much on here about the Crockett I wanted one. I bought one from a member on here last winter. Shot it a lot with my kibler over the summer. I liked the Crockett better than the Cherokee even though the TC was a better quality rifle. Sold the Cherokee to a member on here a few months ago.

I’m building a flintlock now that should take over as my favorite rifle.

I don’t shoot the Crockett much anymore. I just like the flintlock better.

This has been my journey with squirrel hunting muzzleloaders. It’s been a lot of fun and I look forward to lots more time in the squirrel woods with my rifles.

I just can't bring myself to risk buying swamped again. I know, I know, people will reply their swamped barrel is the most accurate gun they've owned, it's your fault, etc
I don't think you are far off. I don't have much experience with swamped guns but I think when it's all out accuracy top priority the straight octagon edges swamped.

I don’t know what your experience is with swamped barrels but my kibler is swamped and it shoots great...

I think what is acceptable to one guy vs another is subjective. My Kibler .54 with the swamped barrel shoots good enough, maybe, to kill a deer at 50 yds - 4"-6" dia if I really concentrate. Some people might call that "great". I don't.

I dunno, I just require a level of accuracy that I don't think that gun can provide. Sure, it's historically accurate, easy to swing, carry, etc., maybe that's more important to you. But to me, like COL Whelen: "Only accurate rifles are interesting".

Well fellas, I finally got out and did some testing with Mr. Crockett today. I had several things I wanted to test. However, I spent 2 hours first cutting shooting patches and lubing them. After the fog burned off and it warmed up, I got after it.

First on the list being the POI. I was not doing great after I installed the front bead on it. It was tough getting out there and shooting. Thought I had it but today proved otherwise. Not knowing this, I began my testing with 15 grains of Swiss and some .311 balls I cast yesterday.

Almost forgot, actually the first thing was trying a 6 O-clock hold. Not for me.

Next on the list was, I have established that the sprues on those small .311 balls are a royal pain to deal with. I loaded them in my loading block at a table and it was still difficult to deal with. Things became worse while starting them in the bore. After pushing them through the block and initially into the bore, I noticed a few sprues had turned. I fought this for a couple hours during testing until I gave up on them. Those .311 balls are just too small to have to deal with sprues.

Switching back to swaged balls, it didn’t take me long before I established that the POI was not correct. So I upped the charge to 20 grains of Swiss. I wiped after every shot. Upping the charge was an improvement. It was hitting a little low and I did not want to lower the peep unless I had to. 20 grains brought the groups back up where they needed to be.

Next test was with my hold of the rifle. I’ve also established that a different position of the butt stock was needed. Due to the sun moving, I had to keep moving my makeshift table. The ground out back is not level so that made things more interesting after each time I had to move the table. It wound up being 27yards from the target.

Finally knocked the front sight over to where it needs to be. I waited until I was sure before doing this. The last few rounds went right where I was aiming.

Then I tried .018 patches. Overall, I determined that there was no appreciable change in accuracy over a .015 patch.

So, it wound up being 20 grains of Swiss, .015 ticking lubed with TOTW mink oil and back to the .310 swaged balls. Also, the new front sight.

I loaded in my house, walked out the back door, shot, walked to the target, back in the house, wiped the bore with one patch with Windex on it followed up by a few dry patches until they came out clean, reloaded, then back outside. I did this for 4 hours without taking a break.

So far, my leg isn’t too mad at me and I’m feeling confident.

Next on the list is practicing shooting offhand. This might take some time and I may not improve, but I’m going to give er heck trying. Probably start off about 3 feet away. That should help my confidence for a few minutes. 😁

Waiting for spring season. Oh how I love squirrel hunting with my Pee Wee muzzleloader.

Last edited:
Well fellas, I finally got out and did some testing with Mr. Crockett today. I had several things I wanted to test. However, I spent 2 hours first cutting shooting patches and lubing them. After the fog burned off and it warmed up, I got after it.

First on the list being the POI. I was not doing great after I installed the front bead on it. It was tough getting out there and shooting. Thought I had it but today proved otherwise. Not knowing this, I began my testing with 15 grains of Swiss and some .311 balls I cast yesterday.

Almost forgot, actually the first thing was trying a 6 O-clock hold. Not for me.

Next on the list was, I have established that the sprues on those small .311 balls are a royal pain to deal with. I loaded them in my loading block at a table and it was still difficult to deal with. Things became worse while starting them in the bore. After pushing them through the block and initially into the bore, I noticed a few sprues had turned. I fought this for a couple hours during testing until I gave up on them. Those .311 balls are just too small to have to deal with sprues.

Switching back to swaged balls, it didn’t take me long before I established that the POI was not correct. So I upped the charge to 20 grains of Swiss. I wiped after every shot. Upping the charge was an improvement. It was hitting a little low and I did not want to lower the peep unless I had to. 20 grains brought the groups back up where they needed to be.

Next test was with my hold of the rifle. I’ve also established that a different position of the butt stock was needed. Due to the sun moving, I had to keep moving my makeshift table. The ground out back is not level so that made things more interesting after each time I had to move the table. It wound up being 27yards from the target.

Finally knocked the front sight over to where it needs to be. I waited until I was sure before doing this. The last few rounds went right where I was aiming.

Then I tried .018 patches. Overall, I determined that there was no appreciable change in accuracy over a .015 patch.

So, it wound up being 20 grains of Swiss, .015 ticking lubed with TOTW mink oil and back to the .310 swaged balls. Also, the new front sight.

I loaded in my house, walked out the back door, shot, walked to the target, back in the house, wiped the bore with one patch with Windex on it followed up by a few dry patches until they came out clean, reloaded, then back outside. I did this for 4 hours without taking a break.

So far, my leg isn’t too mad at me and I’m feeling confident.

Next on the list is practicing shooting offhand. This might take some time and I may not improve, but I’m going to give er heck trying.

Waiting for spring season. Oh how I love squirrel hunting with my Pee Wee muzzleloader.
Glad to read the swiss performed well, I've yet to try it in mine, but it's on my list. I am curious as to how you changed the positioning of the stock. Did you slide it down towards your bicep more? I'm looking forward to a good range session with my Crockett, been too long since I let her run.

Glad to read the swiss performed well, I've yet to try it in mine, but it's on my list. I am curious as to how you changed the positioning of the stock. Did you slide it down towards your bicep more? I'm looking forward to a good range session with my Crockett, been too long since I let her run.
Tom, what worked for my particular shooting, I found it to be counter productive the further out I put butt stock. It wound up being to where I crunched it in close to my shoulder with my arm down, rather out. It was the only way I could be most accurate off of that particular table while sitting. I am not satisfied that is proper for all shooting positions. It is difficult to obtain proper shooting from from off of that makeshift table, especially keeping my elbow out like it should be.

However, that was from a sitting position where my body was somewhat facing the target, rather than completely facing 90 degrees from it. I still think perpendicular to the target is best.

My reasoning for this position is, I was trying to get as close as possible to how I shoot off of a tree while standing in the woods. But, I cannot attest to above mentioned to be correct. I really don't think about this while hunting, I just do.

Soon I hope to either find a tree closer to the house or go somewhere to test this more while standing.

Then it’s on to offhand testing.

Last edited:
Tom, what worked for my particular shooting, I found it to be counter productive the further out I put butt stock. It wound up being to where I crunched it in close to my shoulder with my arm down, rather out. It was the only way I could be most accurate off of that particular table while sitting. I am not satisfied that is proper for all shooting positions. It is difficult to obtain proper shooting from from off of that makeshift table, especially keeping my elbow out like it should be.

However, that was from a sitting position where my body was somewhat facing the target, rather than completely facing 90 degrees from it. I still think perpendicular to the target is best.

My reasoning for this position is, I was trying to get as close as possible to how I shoot off of a tree while standing in the woods. But, I cannot attest to above mentioned to be correct. I really don't think about this while hunting, I just do.

Soon I hope to either find a tree closer to the house or go somewhere to test this more while standing.

I agree with realistic practice Ed. I can't shoot at my house, but the range Im a member of has covered shooting points at the rifle positions. I do most of my shooting braced from the uprights. About as close as I can get to a tree.

Well fellas, I finally got out and did some testing with Mr. Crockett today....

ETipp, Does the Crockett lock have the bridle supporting the tumbler? I have a Trad Kentucky and a Shenandoah; the Shen has the bridle and the KY does not.

Old power pole stub set deep and cut off for your preferred off hand height.

Hello all,
I’m in south west Ohio and both still hunt and sit if I find a good stand of nut trees. Depending on what strikes me, I’ll carry a .32 Crocket rifle or a .40 percussion SMR. I’m building a Kibler SMR in .36 flint er right now that I’m looking forward to playing with later this spring/summer.

ETipp, Does the Crockett lock have the bridle supporting the tumbler? I have a Trad Kentucky and a Shenandoah; the Shen has the bridle and the KY does not.
Good afternoon.
Yes, the Crockett Rifle has a bridle.

Take Care Stay Safe

Attachments

• 20240317_165352.jpg
    20240317_165352.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Wife took this pic out behind my house. He’s one of several of my squirrel meters. Best I can tell, I have 5 or 6 down there. I learn a lot from those little fellas, in terms of good or not so good hunting days
I like that picture, Ed.
Looks like he felt, it was a good time of the day to feed...

Take Care Stay Safe

Hello all,
I’m in south west Ohio and both still hunt and sit if I find a good stand of nut trees. Depending on what strikes me, I’ll carry a .32 Crocket rifle or a .40 percussion SMR. I’m building a Kibler SMR in .36 flint er right now that I’m looking forward to playing with later this spring/summer.
Welcome aboard, 2Moons.
This a good thread to share some squirrel hunting, and then some til squirrel season starts. I know some states have an early hunting season, other not til late summer or early fall.
Here in Florida it go to year round season starting July 1st. That's on private lands only. State land will vary on each management area, and. perspective of the type of hunt that is going on.
Sounds like ya gotta nice collection going on. Good Luck on your build.

Take Care Stay Safe.

Back