• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, wish I could say it was a productive day in the squirrel woods today. Weather man got me again. Was up a bit before 5am to let the dogs out and brew me a thermos of lifers juice, and of course it was raining. Already had my gear in the truck and clothes/boots ready I'm going anyway. Get to the parking area around 7 and sat in the truck and drank coffee waiting. Rain stopped just before 8, threw down my last swallow of Columbian and hit the ground. I was putting my orange vest on when a perfect eating sized grey came beboppin across the parking area. I'm thinking I might have a good morning after all. I only wanted 1, if I got 2, even better I'd share with my pups. Loaded up the New Englander, threw on my pack and headed into the woods. Still hunted for quite a while without seeing anything. Found a good log to sit on, and sat still for about 40 minutes. Nothing. Woods were so wet I wouldn't hear them moving on the ground. Good for me as I could move quiet. Worked my way back to the truck to grab some water and hunt the other side. I wasn't 50 yards into the other patch of woods when a couple truckloads of guys came tearing a$$ down the oil and chip road. I stopped and listened they kept going forward and reverse several times. My Spidey senses told me to head back to my truck. I get back up to the road and they took off. It was almost like they were trying to tear those trucks up. Where I was at was the middle of nowhere, no cell service no houses close. So I get back to the truck, pop the cap off the nipple and lay my gun on the bed cover. Then proceeded to go into my safe under the front seat and get my .45'out and slip it under my shirt. Sat on the tailgate and ate lunch. One truck came back, pulled into the parking area backed up and tore out again. Looked at my watch it was just after noon. So I packed it in. On my drive out, I saw one of the trucks parked half way in a ditch. I'm sure they were up to no good. Saw one grey squirrel I couldn't shoot this morning, and 4 human squirrels I was afraid I might have to. Oh well, beat going to work. Bad thing is, no fried squirrel and taters tonight. Jacks frozen pizza it is.

Well, wish I could say it was a productive day in the squirrel woods today. Weather man got me again. Was up a bit before 5am to let the dogs out and brew me a thermos of lifers juice, and of course it was raining. Already had my gear in the truck and clothes/boots ready I'm going anyway. Get to the parking area around 7 and sat in the truck and drank coffee waiting. Rain stopped just before 8, threw down my last swallow of Columbian and hit the ground. I was putting my orange vest on when a perfect eating sized grey came beboppin across the parking area. I'm thinking I might have a good morning after all. I only wanted 1, if I got 2, even better I'd share with my pups. Loaded up the New Englander, threw on my pack and headed into the woods. Still hunted for quite a while without seeing anything. Found a good log to sit on, and sat still for about 40 minutes. Nothing. Woods were so wet I wouldn't hear them moving on the ground. Good for me as I could move quiet. Worked my way back to the truck to grab some water and hunt the other side. I wasn't 50 yards into the other patch of woods when a couple truckloads of guys came tearing a$$ down the oil and chip road. I stopped and listened they kept going forward and reverse several times. My Spidey senses told me to head back to my truck. I get back up to the road and they took off. It was almost like they were trying to tear those trucks up. Where I was at was the middle of nowhere, no cell service no houses close. So I get back to the truck, pop the cap off the nipple and lay my gun on the bed cover. Then proceeded to go into my safe under the front seat and get my .45'out and slip it under my shirt. Sat on the tailgate and ate lunch. One truck came back, pulled into the parking area backed up and tore out again. Looked at my watch it was just after noon. So I packed it in. On my drive out, I saw one of the trucks parked half way in a ditch. I'm sure they were up to no good. Saw one grey squirrel I couldn't shoot this morning, and 4 human squirrels I was afraid I might have to. Oh well, beat going to work. Bad thing is, no fried squirrel and taters tonight. Jacks frozen pizza it is.
Well Tom, at least you got out and gave it a try. You can’t help it if the squirrels aren’t out and there’s nothing you could do about the shady guys.

In all honesty, this time of year is the toughest time to squirrel hunt IMO.

Glad you got out anyway.

Well Tom, at least you got out and gave it a try. You can’t help it if the squirrels aren’t out and there’s nothing you could do about the shady guys.

In all honesty, this time of year is the toughest time to squirrel hunt IMO.

Glad you got out anyway.
I agree Ed. That's why I took the New Englander shotgun. I figured any shot opportunities would happen quick, and on the ground. Wasn't a complete goat rope, saw a couple of deer and 3 turkeys. Not to mention the humans behaving like animals 🤣

I agree Ed. That's why I took the New Englander shotgun. I figured any shot opportunities would happen quick, and on the ground. Wasn't a complete goat rope, saw a couple of deer and 3 turkeys. Not to mention the humans behaving like animals 🤣
Well if you lived closer I’d give you a bunch of squirrels to eat.

I'm the only one in the house that eats them anymore. I used to keep the freezer stocked. My son moved away, and my daughter, who used to eat them as fast as you could cook them decided she didn't like them anymore. figure that one out? And mamma never cared for them. But she'll eat every rabbit I bring home. I usually stop hunting when I get one or two, I'll eat them the same day. Usually I only get one or 2 with the Crockett (I miss A LOT) 🤣

I hunt alot different WMA.
I too see humans act like animals, or worse.
I'll be giving it another try tomorrow.
Hopefully get the jinx off my
Crockett Rifle...
Take Care Stay Safe

I hunt alot different WMA.
I too see humans act like animals, or worse.
I'll be giving it another try tomorrow.
Hopefully get the jinx off my
Crockett Rifle...
Take Care Stay Safe
It's a marathon not a sprint Fred. You'll get er done. If I was counting on them to sustain myself, I'd take on of my unmentionables. I do get a kick out of hunting with those 32's though. Good luck tomorrow buddy 👍

Ed, it really be great if us guys lived closer, we could all go hunting together.
I could see us all back at camp cooking so.e camp meat. Squirrel, rabbit, turkey, or quail, or all the above.
I will admit this great to be able kick the can back and forth to each other..
It has really given me a good boost, and flooded with fond memories....

Thanks guys.....

Take Care Stay Safe

Ed, it really be great if us guys lived closer, we could all go hunting together.
I could see us all back at camp cooking so.e camp meat. Squirrel, rabbit, turkey, or quail, or all the above.
I will admit this great to be able kick the can back and forth to each other..
It has really given me a good boost, and flooded with fond memories....

Thanks guys.....

Take Care Stay Safe
I will say, I do cook a mean backstraps🤤

Just counted up the days before spring squirrel season here in KY. We are looking at 116 days remaining. May 18 through June 21.

Not sure if I will hunt the early part of May. It will depend on how leaved out the trees are and how warm it is. But, knowing me, I'll most likely be out there regardless.

Just counted up the days before spring squirrel season here in KY. We are looking at 116 days remaining. May 18 through June 21.

Not sure if I will hunt the early part of May. It will depend on how leaved out the trees are and how warm it is. But, knowing me, I'll most likely be out there regardless.
Keep counting them down, Ed.
You'll get back out there where ya like to be.
The FWC will make decision on year round squirrel hunting here Florida, buy end of May or June.

Definitely motivation for the rehab work Ed. You'll be out there running them ridges like you were in you're twenties!

It is tough this time of year. Activity is way down. I hunted a few times last week. Once with my Crockett and twice with a 22. I got a couple but it’s slow.

I need a couple more to reach a personal goal, then probably switch to muzzleloader for the last month. We’ll see. Lol. I do love hunting with a 22.

Our squirrel season ended at the end of January. Last squirrel I shot was with the 20ga while rabbit hunting. Shotguns and squirrels might have their place, but I don't find much pleasure in the experience. Was following up my son's initial hit on the fox squirrel high up the tree. A .22 or the TC Cherokee creates a more interactive experience, IMHO.

I'LL keep hunting vicariously through your exploits, Gentlemen. Thank you for keeping this thread alive. Maybe the son & I will head back down to KY again for early small game season again. If so I'll add further to this conversation.

Our squirrel season ended at the end of January. Last squirrel I shot was with the 20ga while rabbit hunting. Shotguns and squirrels might have their place, but I don't find much pleasure in the experience. Was following up my son's initial hit on the fox squirrel high up the tree. A .22 or the TC Cherokee creates a more interactive experience, IMHO.

I'LL keep hunting vicariously through your exploits, Gentlemen. Thank you for keeping this thread alive. Maybe the son & I will head back down to KY again for early small game season again. If so I'll add further to this conversation.
Chris, If you come this way let me know.

Sorry your season has closed. Ours goes until end of February. Really really want to get out there before it closes.

Last edited:
Chris, If you come this way let me know.

Sorry your season has closed. Ours goes until end of February. Really really want to get out there before it closes.
If the Son is free to camp for another hunt I'll be sure to let you know, ETipp. Maybe we can sound off dueling. 32 caliber muzzleloaders at a few bushytails.

Hey guys, I just wanted to give report of last Saturday.
It was nice and cool, no wind, seen a little gray, a few minutes after i set down by a few oaks, and hickorys. I felt he was working his to me, then he turned away and disappeared. I thought well there will be more. Nope, he was the only one I seen in about 3 1/2 hours.
Plan on try tomorrow, weather is supposed to be good. Maybe, just maybe a better post after the hunt.

Take Care Stay Safe

Fred

If the Son is free to camp for another hunt I'll be sure to let you know, ETipp. Maybe we can sound off dueling. 32 caliber muzzleloaders at a few bushytails.
Chris, I hope you and your son can makes down to Ole Kentucky, and do some hunting with Ed.
I know he would like that, and y'all would have a good time. Some dueling .32s would sound nice...

Best of luck to y'all.

Take Care Stay Safe

Fred

Hey guys, I just wanted to give report of last Saturday.
It was nice and cool, no wind, seen a little gray, a few minutes after i set down by a few oaks, and hickorys. I felt he was working his to me, then he turned away and disappeared. I thought well there will be more. Nope, he was the only one I seen in about 3 1/2 hours.
Plan on try tomorrow, weather is supposed to be good. Maybe, just maybe a better post after the hunt.

Take Care Stay Safe

Fred
Glad you got out Fred. At least you had some action. Id rather be in the woods and have a slow day than be at home😉. I was going to go today, but I wound up making a 3 1/2 hour round trip to pick up a flintlock rifle.

Glad you got out Fred. At least you had some action. Id rather be in the woods and have a slow day than be at home😉. I was going to go today, but I wound up making a 3 1/2 hour round trip to pick up a flintlock rifle.
Thanks Tom.
Very true about a slow day in the woods.
We'll see what tomorrow brings. Crockett Rifle is leaning in the kitchen corner, bag double checked.. Ready to try again..
3 1/2 round trip, a new Flintlock Rifle..
Not bad, not bad at all.

Take Care Stay Safe

Back