• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st post here, with a question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings all, I just found you'all a couple of weeks ago, seems like a nice place to visit. I have had a .54cal T/C Renegade for many years now and have taken several deer with it. I shoot only round ball anymore so I decided to buy a barrel with a twist more suited to PRB. I just received a Green Mountain replacement barrel I ordered through Track of the Wolf. As yet, all I have done is fit it to the rifle. How would you'all go about breaking in this new barrel and getting ready for deer season?

welcome aboard ceb. shoot the snot out of it after a good cleaning. i scrub mine with jb bore paste just to do a little polishing. then clean normally. i'm sure others will jump in with good advice. wk1

Hi there ceb and welcome,
You got yourself a great barrel for that Renegade, I use 80 grains of 3f under a .015 patched .530 roundball for mine.
Scrubbing the bore can only help, but I just started shooting mine :grin: I had excellent hunting accuracy right out of the box - probably could have done better though.
Congratulations and good luck, keep us posted.

Spot

I took mine straight to the range and shot it. Shot good, but all the manufacturing grease/oil was still in there and it got baked into a fouling/grease combo that was tough to get out.

Suggest you clean it before shooting with some carburetor cleaner and a bore brush. Scrub it good and then clean in a bucket of hot water. Watch the water turn brown :shocked2: That's grease!

Mine shoots good and even though i've firelapped most of my ml barrels, I skipped it on the GM. Now I plan to go back to point A and firelap it to smooth it up a bit.

They are good barrels. Hope yours works out for you.

Yep like the others said scrub it out and go shooting realy enjoy mine

Welcome aboard, ceb. You will like the GM barrel (I'm assuming you got a .54, as you didn't say), just do as the others have said, clean it good and shoot it a bunch.

By the way - it's "y'all"

I got a 58 and it shot real well (as good as I can) right out of the box, shoot 200 or so balls thru it and find the load you like. (watch for little things like the key comeing out) Fred :hatsoff:

Thanks fellers, I'll try to follow your advice, specially the "shoot the snot out of it" part. :grin:

Back