• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1863 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I ordered one for the fun of it. My question is what size round ball do you run in this particular little 31 caliber? And where can you buy some of these? Maybe someday I’ll pour my own, but it won’t be anytime soon.

It is a bit harder but i never noticed to much of a difference. If it's a Pietta 63 they are known for the cylinder being bored on the small side. The longer bearing surface from the 320 ball could help with accuracy.

Measuring the gun's chambers first would probably be the way to go.

I know Uberti says to use a .330" ball in their 1849 Colts, but I find that's pretty hard to ram in even with pure lead.

Measuring the gun's chambers first would probably be the way to go.

I know Uberti says to use a .330" ball in their 1849 Colts, but I find that's pretty hard to ram in even with pure lead.
I have an 1848 .31 Colt no loading lever. I normally use .320, I’ve tried.323 and they take some serious hammering to get them in chambers. .330 oh hell no, I’d need a sledge hammer to seat them.

I have an 1848 .31 Colt no loading lever. I normally use .320, I’ve tried.323 and they take some serious hammering to get them in chambers. .330 oh hell no, I’d need a sledge hammer to seat them.
Yeah, I just about got out the sledge hammer last time! 😁 I made a loading press with a long lever, so we'll see if that works out.

Yeah, I just about got out the sledge hammer last time! 😁 I made a loading press with a long lever, so we'll see if that works out.
I made one for my wife for her 1849 that she shoots either the baby dragoon which is .33 and specifically says not for the Remington or .33 buckshot.
I cast all the bullets and balls out of pure lead and we load off the gun on a stand..........with a long arm.
She handles it no problem so build it.

First as others have already said "Measure Your Chambers" then go to TOTW and buy some cast or swaged balls 0.005"- 0.006" larger. Try them and if it works get a Lee mold and cast your own or just keep buying them from TOTW. You are not going to be shooting that gun very often to be buying 5 pounds of buck shot.

Latest posts

Back