• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

EIG 31 Caliber Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just acquired this 31 caliber EIG import. My questions are 1. Does anyone know if an ASM or Uberti cylinder will fit? Don't know if Pietta makes these.
2. And I don't have the balls to shoot it. What size should I get.
3. Are the brass molds that are advertised for the 31 for show or are the conical and round ball actually usable.
There are no other markings anywhere. No proof marks, makers emblem. Just serial number and the ones in pictures.

Attachments

• 20230930_181827.jpg
    20230930_181827.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230930_181723.jpg
    20230930_181723.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230930_181712.jpg
    20230930_181712.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I cast .330 00 buckshot and eras gone baby dragoon bullets for my uberti.
Ok, thanks for that, was going to order some but I needed to know before I did. I've seen .318 up to .321. Kinda confusing. I have .310 but those are for a rifle and way too small.

I have tried using modern reproduction brass molds. They are definitely for show. Results are generally terrible with out-of-round balls/bullets. Original Colt style molds in brass or iron that I’ve used were manufactured to actually produce usable ammo. But! They rapidly grow too hot to handle even with my welding gloves. My advice is to use modern molds.

I have tried using modern reproduction brass molds. They are definitely for show. Results are generally terrible with out-of-round balls/bullets. Original Colt style molds in brass or iron that I’ve used were manufactured to actually produce usable ammo. But! They rapidly grow too hot to handle even with my welding gloves. My advice is to use modern molds.
Yeah I've used one in 44 caliber. Definitely get too hot. I'm thinking just getting one for show. Since I have the flask. I was thinking about getting an extra cylinder for it. But have no clue what will fit.

Nothing under the Lever? Show a pic of the other side. As far as I know, Pietta never made the small frames. The ones I do know about are ASM, Uberti, Palmetto, and possibly DGG. Perina Ruchetta made the small frames in brass.

EIG wasn't known for importing the best of quality and their heyday was back in the 50s & 60s. They later became FIE and it's possible the guns were made by Giacosa Luciano (Euromanufactura) though it could have been made by any of the smaller manufacturers since EIG had several sources. Like you I have an EIG 1849 with no manufacturer's marks and I strongly suspect that they weren't made by one of the larger manufacturers or one that's still in business today based on the quality. These smaller revolvers never seemed to be taken very seriously and I doubt that you could ever find another cylinder that would fit nor anyone that could tell you if such an animal exists.

Check the chamber diameters with a set of calipers and choose a ball based on the measurement. Don't hesitate to shoot it and enjoy.

Last edited:
Nothing under the Lever? Show a pic of the other side. As far as I know, Pietta never made the small frames. The ones I do know about are ASM, Uberti, Palmetto, and possibly DGG. Perina Ruchetta made the small frames in brass.
Nothing under lever. Here's a couple of the other side.

Attachments

• 20231002_081304.jpg
    20231002_081304.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231002_081259.jpg
    20231002_081259.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
EIG wasn't known for importing the best of quality and their heyday was back in the 50s & 60s. They later became FIE and it's possible the guns were made by Giacosa Luciano (Euromanufactura) though it could have been made by any of a the smaller manufacturers since EIG had several sources. Like you I have an EIG 1849 with no manufacturer's marks and I strongly suspect that they weren't made by one of the larger manufacturers or one that's still in business today based on the quality. These smaller revolvers never seemed to be taken very seriously and I doubt that you could ever find another cylinder that would fit nor anyone that could tell you if such an animal exists.

Check the chamber diameters with a set of calipers and choose a ball based on the measurement. Don't hesitate to shoot it and enjoy.
Yeah I looked up EIG and didn't really like what I read. Apparently these revolvers were put together with different parts from different manufacturers. I'll measure the chambers. I had one a few years back. It was a brass frame. If I remember correctly, a .320 ball was too small. They fit tight but would come loose under recoil.
Thanks for your help

I have one without the usual markings too but with the square back trigger guard. Under the loading lever is "S.Marco", "EIG" and "Italy" appear on the bottom of the grip frame, a black powder proof mark is on the face of the cylinder. The cylinder, barrel, frame, trigger guard, loading lever and back strap are all numbered. Sadly the stash of buckshot I had which justified the .31's purchase :thumb: measured .330 and was hardened thus too difficult to seat especially with that dinky little loading lever. Rather than get a bullet mold for a pistol I wouldn't shoot that much I just purchased two hundred .320 balls from either Dixie or TOW. Not a bad little pistol for occasional fun and display IMHO. YMMV

Last edited:
I have one without the usual markings too but with the square back trigger guard. Under the loading lever is "S.Marco", "EIG" and "Italy" appear on the bottom of the grip frame, a black powder proof mark is on the face of the cylinder. The cylinder, barrel, frame, trigger guard, loading lever and back strap are all numbered. Sadly the stash of buckshot I had which justified the .31's purchase :thumb: measured .330 and was hardened thus too difficult to seat especially with that dinky little loading lever. Rather than get a bullet mold for a pistol I wouldn't shoot that much I just purchased two hundred .320 balls from either Dixie or TOW. Not a bad little pistol for occasional fun and display IMHO. YMMV
Yeah I'll probably have to buy some. My brother has some buckshot but the balls feel like steel. All the chambers miked out at .318

Latest posts

Back