• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Colt vs. 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which?

• 1858 Remington

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • 1860 Colt

Votes: 45 48.9%

• Total voters
Kittery Trading Post has uberti 1860 army with engraved cylinder for 379. That is the best price I can find for one that is available today.
Thanks!! They didn't come up on search yesterday so will directly go to check. If memory serves I think I've ordered something milsurp related from them before. No, on second thought, I think it was a Gunbroker auction. Anyway, the name rang a bell when I read your post.

Last edited:
Ordered from Midway USA. $350 before promo discount:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1970158854
What threw me the first time I was there was that the picture shown on the product page is that of the model with the fluted cylinder. However, the manufacturer product number, 340400, is for the engraved cylinder model, also in the detailed specs list (scroll way down) it says "non fluted". I suppose I'm taking a bit of a gamble and should have clarified the discrepancy before ordering, but .... being a weekend and all .... didn't want to wait for an email response from customer service.

Ordered from Midway USA. $350 before promo discount:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1970158854
What threw me the first time I was there was that the picture shown on the product page is that of the model with the fluted cylinder. However, the manufacturer product number, 340400, is for the engraved cylinder model, also in the detailed specs list (scroll way down) it says "non fluted". I suppose I'm taking a bit of a gamble and should have clarified the discrepancy before ordering, but .... being a weekend and all .... didn't want to wait for an email response from customer service.
Can't go wrong really.........

To reply to the original question, there is no real disadvantage to either revolver. Both are excellent and your personal preference is what will make the difference for you. Handle both and make the choice. You might want both.

I'm eyeballing a cap and ball revolver as my next muzzle loading pistol. Top of my list are the "Army" revolvers used in the Civil War. The two main choices I'm considering are the reproductions of the Remington 1858 and the Colt 1860 44 cal revolvers. There appear to be some significant differences leading to similar functionality. Which do you think would make the better choice for me as my first cap and ball revolver? And why? And which manufacturer? Thanks ..

i assume that you don't have the funds right now to buy one of each, so here goes:

se if you can get someone who owns one (of each) to let you actually fire them... absent that, get the one which fits you hand (i.e. feels best) sounds kinda touchy-feely, but it works for me.

my personal opinion is that the colt fits better, but that's just me, and you hands are probably different than mine

good luck!

i assume that you don't have the funds right now to buy one of each,...
Mainly it's funds available for when the credit cards come due in July, which is also the due month for the second installment of my property taxes around here. Jan, Apr, Jun, Jul, and Sep are the "cruel" months in my life cycle for funds availability.

You don't need both. :oops:o_O Go with the Colt Army. You'll be holding and shooting a sidearm representing the culmination of military and firearm manufacturing history. From the Paterson to the Walker, Dragoon, 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, Colt SAA, to the M1911.

If you buy two, buy another and another and another and another model Colt for an expanded historical experience. << corrected
BLASPHEMY!!! Burn the heretic!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Latest posts

Back