• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 and 1862 snubby do you have one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboone

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have two 1860 snubnosed revolvers and one 1862 snubnosed revolver, has any body shot theirs and what powder charger did you use. I've been using in my 1860 30 gr. of 3f 777 and in 1862 25 grs. The 1860 kicks pretty good and I can hit the bottom part of my target at 25 yd. The 1862 I can hit even higher and closer to the bullseye. Fun guns to shot slow to load with the little brass rammer that comes with it.

Mine wasn't a Colt version but a '58 Remington I got cheap because the barrel got wet in a flood and rusted badly. Cut it off about an inch ahead of the frame and soldered on an old coin cut in half for a front sight. Luckily, the sight was the right height to be spot on at 25 feet. I tried everything from 20 to 35 grains of FFFg and had a hoot! Was another example of Marty Robbins' song called "Mister Shorty"..."the 44 spoke, spat leaden smoke and 17 inches of flame!" Yee hah!! Finally let a guy buy it from me and have regretted it ever since! Been haunting gun stores and waiting for somebody to sell a front loader cheap. Hacksaw been sitting still too long!!!

I have an 1860 that started life as a full sized pistol, I lopped the barrel of to about 2", no front sight, a "last ditch" pistol if you will.
20 gr. 3f,wad, &.451 round ball, it would take the fight out of a Yank at 5-10 yards. :grin:

I think with a load of 30 gr. of 3f 777, it would be a fight stopper. I would like to have some matching grips that I could get that fit right out of the box for my 1860's does anyone know of some place to get them from.

Beware.......That load of 30gr. of 777 might loosen up yer cylinder pin in that Colt......Ifn you've shot it with that load much ,take the cylinder off and see if the pin wobbles.........I messed up my 51 Navy with 777...........Bob

Latest posts

Back