• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1859/1863 Percussion Sharps and ranges beyond 300 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadShark

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Have any of the Percussion Sharps owners on this forum ever shot their Sharps out to a range beyond 300 yards? If so, would you like to share the result? Would like to know how capable these very interesting firearms can be.

I have no way to shoot beyond 300 but I've only fired a Cartridge Sharps to 300.

I would think the 1859 Sharpshooter with double set triggers would be capable of hitting a point target at 300 yards and beyond. One of these with a Malcolm scope would be an insanely fun rifle.

No. But I shot at 200yds with fair accuracy (for me) with my infantry rifle. It’s cool to watch the shiny lead slug arc it’s way down range and then hear a big “thwack” as it hits the plywood backstop.
That sounds great! What is your load?

It was 60 gr ffg Goex with a ringtail conical cast from a Pedersoli mold wrapped in a paper cartridge and SPG lube. Just enough filler (grits) to bring the paper tail right up to the cut off plate. The rubber O ring modification kept the block working freely shot after shot. Kinda wish I hadn’t sold it.
46E21373-528B-440A-9BB2-885698A16E65.jpeg

Back