• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scant Information on 1868 .54 Caliber Sharps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to the shooting range with a friend last Saturday. He is the big bore, more modern cartridge weapon type guy but he really enjoyed shooting my muzzle loaders. Later he showed me a carbine that he had but never fired that said "Concord" on the barrel "1868" ".54" caliber. It definitely looks like a reproduction Sharps carbine bot it takes a percussion cap. I know it's not officially a "muzzle-loader" but it looks like the black powder paper cartridge type. Trolling the internet does not yield any tangible results.

We would both like to load our own paper cartridges and fire it but we would like more detailed information. Can anyone help? I will take photographs of it next time.

Thanks

I went to the shooting range with a friend last Saturday. He is the big bore, more modern cartridge weapon type guy but he really enjoyed shooting my muzzle loaders. Later he showed me a carbine that he had but never fired that said "Concord" on the barrel "1868" ".54" caliber. It definitely looks like a reproduction Sharps carbine bot it takes a percussion cap. I know it's not officially a "muzzle-loader" but it looks like the black powder paper cartridge type. Trolling the internet does not yield any tangible results.

We would both like to load our own paper cartridges and fire it but we would like more detailed information. Can anyone help? I will take photographs of it next time.

Thanks

It's likely a repop 1863 Sharps. Paper cartridges are easy but somewhat fiddly to make. I shoot one in North South Skirmish Association carbine matches.

NSSAguns.jpg

sharpsgroup2.jpg

Dave951,

Thanks for the help. We have decided to go ahead and order a bullet mold from Eras Gone Bullet Molds and give the paper cartridge's a try.

Nice photograph of your weapons. 48 years ago I was in the North/South Civil War Skirmish Association in San Diego. Is that the same organization?

Dave951,

Thanks for the help. We have decided to go ahead and order a bullet mold from Eras Gone Bullet Molds and give the paper cartridge's a try.

Nice photograph of your weapons. 48 years ago I was in the North/South Civil War Skirmish Association in San Diego. Is that the same organization?
At risk of sounding like a broken record, I wouldn't ever order a mold before slugging or measuring the bore. Bullet to barrel fit is crucial to accuracy. In the case of a Sharps, you want the bullet to cast at least to .001 over bore size. While I applaud Eras for making historic bullet molds available, that doesn't matter one bit of the bullet is too small.

If you do get a mold that drops a correct size bullet, the next step is making cartridges. You don't need nitrated paper.

Back