• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 grip modification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lpcstrider420

32 Cal
Reaction score
I modified my pietta and a set of s&w N frame grips to fit my 1858... no more cramped fingers...

Attachments

• 20231118_131843.jpg
    20231118_131843.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20231118_131854.jpg
    20231118_131854.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Very nice. Can you give us a little insight in to how you did it.
Well.... i did it... needs some filler at the top of the handle. But 100% functional. Had to grind about 1/8in of the tip of the back of the grip frame and open up the inside of the grip a little on the backside. Can use these as a pattern for a wood version... or probably modify some wood ones easy enough... s&w N frame square but grips. Very little of the grip was trimed. About 1/8in along the length of the backstrap.... after removing 1/8 of the frame "tip"

The 1858 frame is almost exact fit for the square butt n frame s&w... about 1/16in wider on the 1858 pietta.. so leaves a small gap at the backstrap but you could deepen the entire area on a wood n frame grip easily to make the grips fit flush. A little hard to remove 1/32 on both rubber grips so im happy with the slight gap on the rubber. Hand cant feel it at all.

Attachments

• 20231118_131910.jpg
    20231118_131910.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231118_131905.jpg
    20231118_131905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Also all my trimming and cutting was done with a fresh sharpened 1/4 wood chisel and a box cutter... was going for a rough fit prototype... not perfect and beautiful.

Well.... i did it... needs some filler at the top of the handle. But 100% functional. Had to grind about 1/8in of the tip of the back of the grip frame and open up the inside of the grip a little on the backside. Can use these as a pattern for a wood version... or probably modify some wood ones easy enough... s&w N frame square but grips. Very little of the grip was trimed. About 1/8in along the length of the backstrap.... after removing 1/8 of the frame "tip"
Thank you for your response.

Sacrilege!

Where's the eye bleach
A daily carry needs good grips. Ill take the fit/feel over look any day... might use these to make a wood pair from scratch using these as a template. But have too much going on for that right now. This is my daily carry with 2 spare cylinders all loaded with 25gr 777 and 220gr Kaido rpfn pure lead conicals.

Your gun, your rules, go for it!

I look forward to an (eventual) update featuring wood grips. I think they'd look better. But if you're happy with the rubber grips, that's all that matters.

Back