• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 and 1860 sheriff's...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vervillev

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently bought these two Pietta from Midway. I will say that Pietta is doin
IMG_20210424_122115.jpg
g some nice work on their guns. These two pistols show a very nice degree of fit and finish, lock up and index is excellent. I'm going to do the usual to make them reliable but feel like they may just be good to go as is. I wanted to make this post to inform others that Pietta is making some nice guns as of late and are well worth the money. Thanks for looking. Oh, the '51is .36 and the '60 is 44 caliber.

Attachments

• IMG_20210424_122115.jpg
    IMG_20210424_122115.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20210424_122144.jpg
    IMG_20210424_122144.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 66
It looks like Pietta finally stopped making them with the goofy tail. These look good.

My name for the questionable grip profile was “ bugle butt “.
I do not think they have given up the bugle butt profile on all their models, though.
Unfortunately, the Italians take a little too much artistic license with some of their BP
guns.
Remember, the Italians generally are not shooters, even the design engineers and the ones that run the gun companies. Their products are just expensive widgets to them.
The very, very few that are shoot shotguns only. Nothing with rifling.

It looks like Pietta finally stopped making them with the goofy tail. These look good.

My name for the questionable grip profile was “ bugle butt “. I do not think they have given up the bugle butt profile on all their models, though.
Unfortunately, the Italians take a little too much artistic license with some of their BP guns.

There are actually three gripframe profiles that I have observed on Pietta 1851 Navy revolvers. I wrote up a thread on another forum last year about these.

Pietta 1851 Navy "Type" Revolver Grip Assemblies (blackpowdersmoke.com)

If any of you think that there is a one and only original Colt 1851 Navy grip style, think again.

From Nathan B. Swayze's book "'51 Colt Navies". There are many other photos in the book attesting to various grip side profiles also.

Regards,

Jim

There are actually three gripframe profiles that I have observed on Pietta 1851 Navy revolvers. I wrote up a thread on another forum last year about these.

Pietta 1851 Navy "Type" Revolver Grip Assemblies (blackpowdersmoke.com)

If any of you think that there is a one and only original Colt 1851 Navy grip style, think again.

From Nathan B. Swayze's book "'51 Colt Navies". There are many other photos in the book attesting to various grip side profiles also.

Regards,

Jim
It’s the SIDE profile I am talking about. Don’t think there was much variation in that respect.

Recently bought these two Pietta from Midway. I will say that Pietta is doinView attachment 74547g some nice work on their guns. These two pistols show a very nice degree of fit and finish, lock up and index is excellent. I'm going to do the usual to make them reliable but feel like they may just be good to go as is. I wanted to make this post to inform others that Pietta is making some nice guns as of late and are well worth the money. Thanks for looking. Oh, the '51is .36 and the '60 is 44 caliber.
Are those Navy grips on the 1860?

I believe so. Like I said, these revolvers are made very well compared to what I've seen in the past from Pietta. They came from Midway and just about all items that I've ordered from them have been excellent.

I tune/slick up lots of cap n ball revolvers and i have to admit that piettas are my favorite to tune by far...especially the 2015 and newer. The ones from 2017 and above are usually quitr supurb. I have worked a handful of 2021 models and their parts and timing were the best u have seen. Pietta has truly stepped up their game the last half decade or so. I prefer these over any Uberti any day.

Back