• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851@100.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sitting next to two loaded weapons at work right now, and I have to inspect them at the start of each shift. Never had an ND although others have.

It's either firearms mindfulness, safety and common sense were ingrained in you by someone, or yourself or it hasn't. Many people just don't have it.

Muzzle awareness was reinforced for me in 2007 at Ft Benning. When a guy accidentally pointed a hot M16 at a Drill Sgt. I never knew the extent of what happened afterwards, besides that guy had a really really bad day

I'm sure!! No one is going to manufacture a Colt type high end barrel. It's too complicated.

Mike
Actually Mike it is most related to MLAIC rules that replicas have to be nearly indentical to original configuration to be used. The Colt open top sights just can't compete with the Remington designs. Accuracy wise if you put a top rib with S&W sights on a Colt 1851 it gives up nothing in accuracy to the Remington or Rogers & Spencer.

Colt revolvers are almost never used in MLAIC competitions. At the world's championship you will never see one.
This is a very niche use that applies to probably .01% of people who shoot blackpowder handguns but the 1858 certainly is a better platform for Match shooting, and putting a Match grade barrel on. It can be more accurate than any Colt type and more consistent, easier to load off-gun, etc.

But almost no one will ever make use of a 1/2" tighter group....... Box stock pair of Pietta "Colt" .44 Brassers, not a thing done to them. No "tuning", no work by "a guy" , fluff and buff, nothing .....

I shot them both one handed, righty and lefty at 25 yards with 20gr of 777. I'm the farthest from a Champion as it gets. I can plug that Schmoo all day at 25 and never miss. From a sandbag I can shoot a Dollar coin sized group.

What else does Joe Sixpack need these guns to do? 1 person out of many thousands actually competes with these things on any organized level. It's like me borrowing one of Jerry Miculeks S&W's and expecting to shoot better.

It gets down to hair splitting at a certain point when we use the splinter niche % of shooters that win Gold medals in Poland as a yardstick for "better guns"

Attachments

• 20230425_185843.jpg
    20230425_185843.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I just did your test and there is absolutely no movement between the assemblies. There won't be when firing either. With the wedge driven in, it's locked up solid and stays that way.
To be "unbiased", I used a Walker that belongs to Kaido ( the bullet guy) instead of any of my personal open-tops.

View attachment 218549

View attachment 218550

Solid as a rock.
So, if you would take the time to set one up correctly, you'd understand.

Mike
I didn't say to see if you could see movement between the parts I said push on the butt heel and feel the side to side and up and down flex. Now do the same with a solid frame gun and you will see the difference in frame rigidness. The design and tolerance that allow the parts to be joined in open frame guns is causing the flex and I can guaranty that any open frame gun will manifest this.They are nearly as ridgid vertically as solid frame guns but not even close in the side to side radial flex.

Last edited:
Col. Cooper once reiterated the four rules of firearms safety in an article for G&A magazine in which he posited that a gunman might violate one or two of the rules and not experience an ND and I agree. Violation of more than two will eventually bite you American firearms owners actually have an exemplary record for safety when you consider the millions of firearms in private hands and everyday use.

I’ve said that I’m lucky, I’ve always been lucky, but I’ve also paid attention to safety; it’s very much in the front of my thinking and I don’t think I’m alone in this. Also, to the extent possible I work to weed out the knot heads in my circle of acquaintance, family and friends.

BTW I’m going to ask around and see how many of the shooters I know have had an ND or AD… I’ll report back.
Here is the deal as I see it, humans make mistakes no matter how cautious and well trained and all it takes under certain circumstances and conditions is a distraction or physical slip up for a split second to cause an AD. The safety habits we acquire through teaching and training are what for the most part save the day in most instances but nothing is absolutely fool proof. One of the most dangerous places to be in my opinion is in thinking because it has never happened to us that it never can !
One more thing I think is important is to compensate as we age and get more forgetful by re-educating our thinking and reinforce good safety habits. These discussions cause us all to search our souls , be honest with ourselves and if wise re-evaluate our personal safety protocols.

Last edited:
I guess you've never been in the military 😀

I've seen more ND's in the Army than I can count including an M2 .50

Or I guess you've never shot at a sketchy Public Range

I had an AD, I guess you'd call it when an old beat up Mauser I was shooting fired as soon as I closed the bolt, putting an 8mm into the dirt 5 feet in front of my bench. The range was hot so it was fine. That was one time the gun was actually broken

I had an SKS go full auto, I guess that counts

I've never fired a gun inside a house or anywhere else in a straight up Negligent Discharge
I'm a veteran of 4 years and 2 days with an honorable discharge and I compete at public ranges monthly ! I've been shooting since I was a small boy . One of the dangers of continual gun handling and firing is complacency , which is a disaster waiting to happen. I must fight it continually and expect any one I'm around to call me on any infringement they witness which is humiliating on occasion but well worth the trade off for safeties sake !

Last edited:
I'm a veteran of 4 years and 2 days with an honorable discharge and I compete at public ranges monthly ! I've been shooting since I was a small boy . One of the dangers of continual gun handling and firing is complacency , which is a disaster waiting to happen. I must fight it continually and expect any one I'm around to call me on any infringement they witness which is humiliating on occasion but well worth the trade off for safeties sake !
You've never seen one ND in the military?

Don't recollect anyone here trying to ask Capand Ball directly and asking him about the wedge tapping. Seems that might clear up a lot of conjecture . Go to the source I always say.

Don't recollect anyone here trying to ask Capand Ball directly and asking him about the wedge tapping. Seems that might clear up a lot of conjecture . Go to the source I always say.

Well he's clearly tapping the wedge so it's either loose or he's doing it because he thinks it "may" be loose. Either way, it shouldn't have that problem. Not much "conjecture " . . .

Let us know what you find out . . .

Mike

Back