• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851@100.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way what is ND ? (Non-intentional discharge) as opposed to AD (accidental discharge). I had not seen the designation before this post.
Negligent Discharge

The term "Accidental Discharge" is rarely if ever used because it implies that the gun fired through an "Accident" and is rarely the case

We "left" Britain by declaring independence and refusing to obey British law. They objected to that and a war was fought to decide the issue.

Well this post went from a person shooting a 60 year old repro pistol out to a hundred yards and a history lesson on repro pistols to design flaws in repro pistols to stories of negligent discharges to arguments over the revolutionary war. Situation normal.
Would you rather this or a dead forum like the Ruger Forum with the last post being from 2 weeks ago and no one really discusses anything.

If it's like "Which Sights are best?'
*1 week later * Williams fire sights
*6 months later* Meprolight
*thread dies and gets the "this is an older thread " label*

It's boring and makes people leave a forum

You really can't have both......you want an active forum but everything has to be 100% on topic......That's not reality. People are human, conversation will drift....how long can people really discuss a guy shooting a revolver at 100 yards .....

What is the current twist ?

Hey! The Pietta Colt OT platforms have 1/32" I believe but the Pietta Remingtons are 1 /16" or18".

Uberti's are both 1 /16" or 18".

Mike

BTW, I did your vice test with a customers 1860 Uberti and of course there was a certain amount of "give" as is. There's absolutely none of that after arbor correction. None of mine will exhibit any kind of play / flex.
Therefore, Colts design works exactly as intended if set up correctly. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, if a cap gun will beat itself up with black powder (mine did), it most assuredly will using smokeless. Especially at Ruger only pressures.

Mike

Last edited:
Would you rather this or a dead forum like the Ruger Forum with the last post being from 2 weeks ago and no one really discusses anything.

If it's like "Which Sights are best?'
*1 week later * Williams fire sights
*6 months later* Meprolight
*thread dies and gets the "this is an older thread " label*

It's boring and makes people leave a forum

You really can't have both......you want an active forum but everything has to be 100% on topic......That's not reality. People are human, conversation will drift....how long can people really discuss a guy shooting a revolver at 100 yards .....
Create new threads for different topics. Don't takeover someone else's thread and take it in several different directions. That way the intent of the original thread stays on course and people can respond to the original threads intent.

Well he's clearly tapping the wedge so it's either loose or he's doing it because he thinks it "may" be loose. Either way, it shouldn't have that problem. Not much "conjecture " . . .

Let us know what you find out . . .

Mike
I don't have a dog in this fight. His results speak for themselves. Good enough for me.

Hey! The Pietta Colt OT platforms have 1/32" I believe but the Pietta Remingtons are 1 /16" or18".

Uberti's are both 1 /16" or 18".

Mike

BTW, I did your vice test with a customers 1860 Uberti and of course there was a certain amount of "give" as is. There's absolutely none of that after arbor correction. None of mine will exhibit any kind of play / flex.
Therefore, Colts design works exactly as intended if set up correctly. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, if a cap gun will beat itself up with black powder (mine did), it most assuredly will using smokeless. Especially at Ruger only pressures.

Mike
If you subject it to what I'm telling you to, it will flex !

Nope. Mine won't. I'm not an idiot and I understand what you're saying. I know you don't believe me but that's beside the point. I've asked/ told you a million times how to do it but you are afraid I guess.
I will do your "tests" ( wouldn’t change what I do anyway, got too many championships from my efforts) but you're scared to do mine. You can't believe Pietta fixed theirs, won't admit that originals are correct ( guess they didn't know what they were doing), all other forums understand the situation and accept it, this forum seems to be at least a decade behind! Lol
So, no . . . mine don't "flex" any more than any other modern SA and I wouldn't shoot any of the high pressure ammo out of anything you set up that I regularly shoot out of mine. Pure and simple.

Mike

To be as " bright" as you seem to be, you apparently have absolutely no concept of what has been explained so many times. So, keep making your "perfect" wedges ( and stay away from tier 2 loads) !!!

Last edited:
Tell you what, send me one of your guns, I'll pay the postage and insurance and video the test. Perhaps I've got it all wrong and can show the error of what I believe is true !
Never have had any inclination to make a percussion revolver a smokeless shooting cartridge gun.
We have already seen proof that accuracy and longevity does not depend on your assumptions of end fit arbors and tight wedges.

Tell you what, send me one of your guns, I'll pay the postage and insurance and video the test. Perhaps I've got it all wrong and can show the error of what I believe is true !
Never have had any inclination to make a percussion revolver a smokeless shooting cartridge gun.
We have already seen proof that accuracy and longevity does not depend on your assumptions of end fit arbors and tight wedges.

Tell you one even better . . . why don't you fix one of your own and test it yourself ( weren't you going to that about a year ago ?)? That would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to send it back. I pm'd you when you were going to do your own but got no response.
It's an easy fix for Uberti's ( making a spacer, I've posted many times on here how i do it.). You don't even have to do that with a Pietta, you just close down the endshake to .0025" - .003" (by dressing the end of the arbor). Drive the wedge in ( it'll stop all by itself).

I've got nothing to prove, did that for myself 12 years ago. Been setting up s.a. cap guns ever since.

Mike

Create new threads for different topics. Don't takeover someone else's thread and take it in several different directions. That way the intent of the original thread stays on course and people can respond to the original threads intent.
At least people stopped jumping new people for asking questions with all the "The Search Feature is your friend!!!!" Responses

These forums are Curmudgeon social media, it is what it is. Guys aren't going to stop bickering or taking threads in 5 different directions. When it gets personal or hostile then ok it's gone too far

I've seen many gun forums die on the vine because the owners tried to "crack down" on free flowing conversations and people end up just leaving because it's dull

It's like a diner full of cranky old guys talking about shooting and a lot of people probably enjoy that .

Honestly can I just address the Elephant in the room and I'm not trying to single any one person out ...

But I have wondered why a person , any person, not any 1 person in particular...... would "mod" an Italian reproduction percussion revolver to shoot .45 LC "Ruger Only " loads when Ruger themselves make guns such as the beautiful .45 LC Bisley Blackhawk that will handle such loads all day long......maybe I'm just overthinking.

When I want to shoot .45 LC, or .44 Magnum, etc I simply open my safe and grab a Ruger in said caliber that probably costs less than it would to "convert" a cap and baller.....

Funny thing is . . . there's a guy that has explained more than a few times that it is purely testing for the open-top platform. To load ammo that will eventually show how a "correct by design" open-top will hold up. You can't do that with b.p.
This particular forum won't allow pictures ( well, MY pictures) of my testing "equipment" which consists of 2 Uberti '60 Army's and 2 Uberti Dragoons. SOME folks may be interested in how far their preferred "open-top" can go before showing signs of pressure limits . . . exactly like has been done with "hot rodded" calibers before . . . which brought about the "magnum" ammo and revolvers that shoot them.
Some folks understand that Italian copies aren't built according to Colt design while others apparently think Colt got it wrong and the Italians are "all that".
So, no mystery here. If folks would read the whole post ( or posts) rather than " pick and choose", they might understand the process.
Conversions are historically correct but some here would rather decide for others what they should shoot and how they should spend their money. Even factory Conversions are in need of "tuning" and "correction".
I figure, if it's something you're not "into", don't comment. I don't even look at anything referring to flintlock/ percussion single shot rifles/pistols . . . not interested in the least . . . been there/ done that.

Mike

Last edited:
That is a remarkable record and I believe you ! I believe your the very first person I have asked that has never had one in there life time. Keep up the good work !
As to sweeping some one with a muzzle one must never attend a gun show or gun shop as it happens on a regular basis in these places !
Actually I think gun safety awareness should be spoken regularly in all venues of shooting sports regardless of which type of arm it occurred with.
I, too, had an accidental discharge. No damage done but could have been a life-changer. Can't be too careful! 🤞

Back