• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851@100.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video, great shooting, and spot on with the history lesson of how reproduction cap and ball pistols came to be. William B. Edwards was the founder of the reproduction market and Val Forgett of Navy Arms was the father of the reproduction cap and ball pistols. They combined to bring these pistols into existence. That pistol he is shooting is one of the very first engraved Navy Arms 1851's and were hand engraved. The first 3,000 or so steel and brass frame 1851's didn't even have any engraving on the cylinder, proof marks, or date codes, and all had round barrels. Proof marks and date codes started around 1961. 1962 1851 pistols had serial numbers in the 5,000 range.

Imagine what it would cost today to have an 1851 hand engraved.

Last edited:
After a second look, he is in fact tapping the wedge. I watched it the first time in a bit of a hurry and missed him turning the revolver on its side.
Evidence of a more than likely loose fitting wedge even with mediocre loads +filler (especially after decades of shooting it in such condition ). That's the best evidence of a short arbor.

Mike

Kinda hard to believe really.
It’s a wonder he hitting anything… ;-)

Not really, the barrel is still pointing in the general direction . . . 🤣

But seriously, it's no different than the interference fit we all delt with growing up with and/or shooting 20, 30, 40, 50 yrs ago. They can be accurate until they aren't. Of course heavy ( max) loads will get you to "aren't " faster. I wonder how much MORE accurate his revolver would be if he didn't have to keep "nailing" it back together?

Mike

Not really, the barrel is still pointing in the general direction . . . 🤣

But seriously, it's no different than the interference fit we all delt with growing up with and/or shooting 20, 30, 40, 50 yrs ago. They can be accurate until they aren't. Of course heavy ( max) loads will get you to "aren't " faster. I wonder how much MORE accurate his revolver would be if he didn't have to keep "nailing" it back together?

Mike
I do have a sense of what’s required to make hits with pistols at a distance, I’m also told this guy is a champion in European blackpowder competition.

I do have a sense of what’s required to make hits with pistols at a distance, I’m also told this guy is a champion in European blackpowder competition.

I'm sure you do and I agree with you and I know he's a champion shooter. I just think he would do better if the revolver was the same for each shot. Don't see how that can be if you're tapping the wedge between the shots.

Mike

I hope someone is courteous enough to send Dr Balasz Nemeth a message that he's not maintaining his gun properly 😆😆😆

I have some tips on Double Action revolver shooting for Jerry Miculek too , I'm sure he could use some advice

That's pretty cute but it's not a "maintenance" issue, it's a "build" issue.
You'd think someone that knows everything there is to know about cap guns ( and double actions) would understand the idea of having the "same" revolver from shot to shot . . . at least from "cleaning to cleaning" would be of importance.

I don't have to touch a wedge at the range, only for cleaning. That "idea" should be elementary. NASCAR drivers don't build engines, engine builders don't drive ( not since Smokey Yunick anyway).

Mike

Back