• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1607 French Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentucky bucky

45 Cal.
Reaction score
In the writings of John Smith of Pocahontas and Jamestown fame, he spoke of shooting and repelling Powhattan indians with a his "French Pistol". Would this be a snaphaunce or a early flintlock? I know the French were on the cutting edge of weaponry in this era and developed the flintlock in the form we recognize, but how early?

You are predating the flintlock with French half cock.

You are probably predating the flintlock with dog catch, the "English lock".

So it probably has to be a snaphance or wheel lock. OTOH it may depend on how much of it is French :thumbsup:

Robin,
He was a well travelled adventurer and mercenary type fellow and no doubt he had the state of the art weaponry to prove it. I know they have found snaphaunces and/or "English" musket locks in their excavations, but I haven't read anything about pistols.

In that time frame it seems likely he was referring to a snaphaunce or a wheel lock as Robin said. It's just too early for a true flintlock. My money is on a wheel lock. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if the archaeologists have found any wheel lock relics, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. I'll have to do some more reading on the subject.

I thought they recently recovered a pistol from a Jamestown well there recently during excavations...? But it was a scotish snaphaunce dating to the very early 1600s???
TCA

T.C. Albert said:
I thought they recently recovered a pistol from a Jamestown well there recently during excavations...? But it was a scotish snaphaunce dating to the very early 1600s???
TCA

COOL!!

Back