Quantcast

16 gauge

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
No Thomas Phillips listed in the American Gun Makers and the British proof marks suggest it was made in Great Britain.
Nice looking gun. :thumb:

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
NOT British, but English. AFAIK, as the Welsh never made any kind of a gun, and they, too, are British. The proof stamps date from between 1813 to 1904, and the V is the view mark - 'view' is the gun-smith term used for a close examination. With the back-action lock it probably dates from the middle of the 19th C. A friend of mine uses a double 12g in this style to steal trophies from the rest of the club shooters every year I can recall to mind.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
NOT British, but English. AFAIK, as the Welsh never made any kind of a gun, and they, too, are British. The proof stamps date from between 1813 to 1904, and the V is the view mark - 'view' is the gun-smith term used for a close examination. With the back-action lock it probably dates from the middle of the 19th C. A friend of mine uses a double 12g in this style to steal trophies from the rest of the club shooters every year I can recall to mind.
Thomas Phillips and his son also called Thomas who were gun and pistol makers both worked at 90, Great Charles Street Birmingham Has for no Welsh gunmakers lets not forget Thomas Phillips Haverfordwest , Pembroke 1858-1868.
Feltwad

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Thomas Phillips and his son also called Thomas who were gun and pistol makers both worked at 90, Great Charles Street Birmingham Has for no Welsh gunmakers lets not forget Thomas Phillips Haverfordwest , Pembroke 1858-1868.
Feltwad
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Bearkiller

40 Cal.
Reaction score
WOW! You guys are great! Thanks for all the info now my gun has history. Haven't shot it in 30 years but I hope to do so soon.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
WOW! You guys are great! Thanks for all the info now my gun has history. Haven't shot it in 30 years but I hope to do so soon.
Re -lay the ramrod rib and it should make a good bird gun ,the standard load for a 16 bore is 2.1/2 drms of medium grade black powder to 1 oz of no 5 or 6 shot for pheasant , partridge , etc .
Feltwad

Rudyard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What about Sargent of Abbergaveny ? that's Welsh enough . Though most named provincial guns are as likely retailers as makers . If plenty enough got in the basic parts and made up guns in provincial towns .
Rudyard