• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

16 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I friend gave this to me about 30 years ago just dug it out of the closet any idea where and when this was built?
Ph9kHCe.jpg

Dgp1XBu.jpg

iw9nQjW.jpg

oB6H9Fv.jpg

qHCHonC.jpg

eFohOSX.jpg

koZBSac.jpg

2nGlsEF.jpg

3qASWE6.jpg

No Thomas Phillips listed in the American Gun Makers and the British proof marks suggest it was made in Great Britain.
Nice looking gun. :thumb:

NOT British, but English. AFAIK, as the Welsh never made any kind of a gun, and they, too, are British. The proof stamps date from between 1813 to 1904, and the V is the view mark - 'view' is the gun-smith term used for a close examination. With the back-action lock it probably dates from the middle of the 19th C. A friend of mine uses a double 12g in this style to steal trophies from the rest of the club shooters every year I can recall to mind.

NOT British, but English. AFAIK, as the Welsh never made any kind of a gun, and they, too, are British. The proof stamps date from between 1813 to 1904, and the V is the view mark - 'view' is the gun-smith term used for a close examination. With the back-action lock it probably dates from the middle of the 19th C. A friend of mine uses a double 12g in this style to steal trophies from the rest of the club shooters every year I can recall to mind.

Thomas Phillips and his son also called Thomas who were gun and pistol makers both worked at 90, Great Charles Street Birmingham Has for no Welsh gunmakers lets not forget Thomas Phillips Haverfordwest , Pembroke 1858-1868.
Feltwad

Thomas Phillips and his son also called Thomas who were gun and pistol makers both worked at 90, Great Charles Street Birmingham Has for no Welsh gunmakers lets not forget Thomas Phillips Haverfordwest , Pembroke 1858-1868.
Feltwad

I stand corrected. Thank you.

WOW! You guys are great! Thanks for all the info now my gun has history. Haven't shot it in 30 years but I hope to do so soon.
Re -lay the ramrod rib and it should make a good bird gun ,the standard load for a 16 bore is 2.1/2 drms of medium grade black powder to 1 oz of no 5 or 6 shot for pheasant , partridge , etc .
Feltwad

What about Sargent of Abbergaveny ? that's Welsh enough . Though most named provincial guns are as likely retailers as makers . If plenty enough got in the basic parts and made up guns in provincial towns .
Rudyard

Back