• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10 lbs BP Now Or Wait

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what, you guys make alot of sense.

I just laid in a sevral years supply of coffee, bourbon, tobacco, and blackpowder.

I think I can manage the looming great Brandon Depression if I have some of the staples on hand.
Burbon and black powder are un- effected by time, coffee and tobacco not do much. 😁

A lb lasts a few days if I'm shooting alone and half a days shooting if the sons come along. Does 10 lbs sound like "Panic" ?
10 lbs of powder isn't panic, or hoarding.

A 100 lbs may not be, depending on a persons shooting habits. Cannon guys can use a pound/shot.

Personally, I'm not going to judge. Buy what you want.

10 lbs of powder isn't panic, or hoarding.

A 100 lbs may not be, depending on a persons shooting habits. Cannon guys can use a pound/shot.

Personally, I'm not going to judge. Buy what you want.
Shot a pound last Sunday, feeding a couple of shotguns it goes quicker than you think, makes me want to order ten more just thinking about it.

With many now so well supplied and satisfied with German powder, perhaps there isn't a need for American powder after all! The Hodgdon's didn't get out of black powder because it was profitable...;)

Thing is, some rifles take huge charges and a shooter can burn through a pound of powder pretty quickly. The .62 rifle I shoot burns 120 grains FFG each shot, and one practice session burns 20% of a pound of powder. The antique British double rifles I shoot each take anywhere from 100 to 170 grains of 1.5FG or FFG in each barrel. A practice session with any one of these rifles will easily burn through half a pound of powder. Multiply that by a half dozen rifles (every one of which I do hunt with every year), and Papa needs his powder order filled, now...
Funny i shoot a 69 cal and a 72 cal both smoothie most accurate loads are 55 grn of 3fffg and 62 of 2ffh

Been buying 25lbs every two years for a long time now. Shooting .54, .58 and shotgun I tended to go thru a little over a pound a month. Price wise, buying in large amounts just made sense given the volume of shooting I was doing. This is the first time I haven't been able to buy it when I wanted to that I can remember. Fortunately, I scored 14lbs from a gun club member who was moving out of state and didn't want to transport what he had. It's keeping me going, but I've shifted over to mostly .40 caliber and pistol shooting so I've stretched my usage to a pound every two months. If I could get it I'd buy it and use it.

With many now so well supplied and satisfied with German powder, perhaps there isn't a need for American powder after all! The Hodgdon's didn't get out of black powder because it was profitable...;)
I’m shooting probably 80% or more Goex brand I’ve stocked up on over the years with a mix Grafs house brand, Wano, and some KIK I picked up from a buddy, I’ve always ordered from Grafs and threw some of their house brand in just because, in all honesty I’ve probably got enough to last until Goex is up and running again, but I’m also not a betting man and don’t put off till tomorrow what can be done today, I’ll buy it when and where it’s available.

I just laid in a sevral years supply of coffee, bourbon, tobacco, and blackpowder.
I've got a couple extra cans of powder, some silver & a little gold. A pig in the freezer, a deer in the freezer and 35 to 40 lbs of beef. Pantry full of canned food, coffee and seasonings. I'm not a smoker, however I do keep a few good cigars on hand for those that do. But, alas I'm out of Rum. 😢

The conversation went something like this. Sweetie do you need anything from the store? Not really, wait a minute...pick me up a bottle of Rum. OK. An hour or so later; Did you get my Rum? No, I'm sorry I forgot. Did you forget cat food? No, why? Never mind...🤨

Moral of the story...Never let your wife be responsible for your Powder & Rum supply. If you can afford a few extra cans of powder buy it.

Panic buying only exacerbate the current shortage. Calm down, don't be greedy, and please don't encourage others to act like a bunch of hogs.

Unfortunately, the madness of crowds rules here. Even if all of us on this forum didn't buy a grain, there is huge unmet demand and it will sell out. So you might as well buy it if you need it because it will be gone regardless of what you do.

I think I am supplied for the next year or two. If we are still embarrassed for powder by then, I suppose I will start making my own.

Would that be due the the US military sequestering additional fuel or what?
Ukraine is a pretty big oil pruducer and has been for around 100 years now, remember that the Germans seized most of the oil fields during the 2nd world War.

I've got a couple extra cans of powder, some silver & a little gold. A pig in the freezer, a deer in the freezer and 35 to 40 lbs of beef. Pantry full of canned food, coffee and seasonings. I'm not a smoker, however I do keep a few good cigars on hand for those that do. But, alas I'm out of Rum. 😢

The conversation went something like this. Sweetie do you need anything from the store? Not really, wait a minute...pick me up a bottle of Rum. OK. An hour or so later; Did you get my Rum? No, I'm sorry I forgot. Did you forget cat food? No, why? Never mind...🤨

Moral of the story...Never let your wife be responsible for your Powder & Rum supply. If you can afford a few extra cans of powder buy it.
One of my daughters goes on a lot of cruises and she knows to bring me back rum each time. Gotta keep the cabinet stocked...

Shot a pound last Sunday, feeding a couple of shotguns it goes quicker than you think, makes me want to order ten more just thinking about it.

For those that reenact battles, such as myself... a pound = one two-day event. 10 lbs. is about 1 year's supply, if you do 9 events, and use a pound for targets and hunting.

So we've pretty much run the course on this topic.

Buy if you think you need to do so..., stock up.

Relax if you think you have sufficient reserves.

Perhaps you will still have some of what you ordered this month, on your shelf in four years, and perhaps you will be patting yourself on the back for the money that you've saved over the past four years, OR perhaps you will think yourself the victim of folly. 🤔

Only time will tell, eh?;)

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back