• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10 gauge pedersoli sxs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkjohnson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to try shooting a 76 caliber round ball out of the cylinder bore side of my pedersoli 10 gauge. Any one else try this? What kind of accuracy can I expect? I really like stalk hunting deer here in Indiana and always see lots of squirrels. I want to hunt for both but don't want to carry two guns. So I thought I would load one side for squirrels and one side for deer.

I have done that with mine. Used 90 gns of 2F and wrapped the ball in paper until it fit fairly tight but still easy to seat. Not really accurate but ok for around 35-40 yds. Could hit the barn door anyway. Minute of Bambi.
If yours has the choke tubes make sure you really have the cylinder one. Mine didn't come with it and I had to buy from Ped'.
I have had better luck with 100 gns 2F and 36 cal roundballs over a split fiber wad with lube in between and a cork over shot wad to top it off.

Good luck

I never had one but I don’t see why it would not shoot as well as any other smoothly. Mine clover leaf at twenty five yards and are in hands breadths at fifty.
The recommended charge for my centermark tulle was 80 grins, but I got better results with 65. Lower charges may serve you better. 600 grains of lead or more won’t leave too many deer asking for more.

jk, welcome to the forum!

From one Hoosier to another, I have to wonder what our possum cops would say about the tube loaded with birdshot while deer hunting. :hmm:

I DO like the idea though :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

I built a Chambers NE fowler in 10ga. I had it jug choked as a turkey gun, and shot .750 patched round balls like a champ.

Skychief said:
jk, welcome to the forum!

From one Hoosier to another, I have to wonder what our possum cops would say about the tube loaded with birdshot while deer hunting. :hmm:

I DO like the idea though :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief
Not for nothing but how can they tell. To me what's the PC to make you unload and show the load?

Just saying.

I shot some yesterday with 90 and 100 grains of powder. The .76 caliber ball was too big to shoot with a patch but it was tight enough without a patch. I shot at 20 and 30 yards and was shooting low at both distances. I may not have gotten low enough on the gun to shoot true. It has a double bead for sites. I believe my eyes were too high on the bead causing me to shoot low. I did aim high and hit a gallon jug of water at 30 yards, which was a lot of fun. I will have to try some smaller balls so I can use a patch. I'm thinking I can use a .18 pillow ticking and a .735 ball or a .75 ball and .10 patch.

You never can tell what they might say, but there is no rule against it that I know of.

Mine is not equipped with choke tubes. The barrels are fixed chokes. The right is Cylinder and the left is modified.

Say, if you're eyes were high it would of shot high!
Next time out just try 80-90 grains.
Your muzzles may just be that bit higher as the ball exits.

B :hatsoff:

Frenchman said:
:doh: "Squirrels' with a 10 ga, do you have any meat after shooting.

Absolutely. I use 90 grains of powder over an equal amount of #7 shot. It is no where near a modern 10 gauge. More like shooting a modern 20 gauge with bird shot.

spudnut said:
Were you wadding the ball?

Nope. I haven't tried a wad yet. I am going to be playing around with it some more to get that perfect powder patch/wad lead combo.

Back